Am I missing something?

gboulton

Bronze Supporter
Apr 24, 2012
Nashville, TN
Ok...the last 2-3 weeks, the pool's been going through 4-5 ppm of chlorine a day. Never less than 3.5 (on no bather days), around 5 on high load days.

Here's what i know and what I've done:

1) I test in the mornings as a general rule, usually between 6-7am. CC will be .5 3-4 days a week, 0 the other days. Never, not once, has it ever been more than .5
2) CYA is 50, has been the entire time, tested weekly at a minimum, double checked 2-3 other times. Wife has also performed the test, with the same assessment of the results...CYA of 50.
3) Pool is always crystal clear, even on mornings after storms have blown a few leaves in.
4) I've performed 3 OCLTs since I started noticing this high usage. FC losses of 0, .5, and 0
5) The pool gets direct, unimpeded sunlight from sunrise until 30-45 minutes before sunset. There are no trees or buildings nearby enough to cast any shadows or shade until very late in the afternoon, and the shade never completely covers the pool.
6) I've used 3 different brands of bleach during this time, each has been tested to confirm strength by testing FC 60-90 minutes after adding bleach, each time confirming FC was what would be expected for the given amount of bleach added, according to Pool Calculator.
7) My target each morning is 7-8 FC (lately 8, knowing I could expect to lose 4+)

I've got absolutely no indication that anything is using up chlorine...except for the fact chlorine is being used up. *heh* (Anyone remember A Few Good Men? Doctor, was there ANY sign of violence? You mean, aside from the dead body?)

Is it reasonable, given the long days of direct sunlight, that the pool is simply using that much chlorine daily? If so, would a slightly higher (60-70) CYA level be appropriate? Or am I overlooking something that suggests the pool should be shocked?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

For example, note this thread:

Jason says
A typical pool uses about 2 ppm of chlorine per day, but that varies a fair bit depending on how much direct sunlight the pool gets.

Am I really getting SO much 'direct sunlight" that my typical usage is 2.5 * normal?

Allison says
Mine is 3-4, but that is with Texas heat and not a bit of shade anywhere near the pool. I plan to slowly raise my CYA this year to see if that helps any (stills staying below 50).

Even with a CYA obviously below mine, and "not a bit of shade", her usage...in a warmer environment...is 60-80% of mine.

In this thread Dave says a 5.5ppm 1-day loss with 'a few swimmers" is "excessive".

Thinkly said:
I am by far, not an expert but my theory is....it takes what it takes. :goodjob:

Fair enough, probably a pretty good theory. :lol:

I guess it's just my OCD nature...after all, if I didn't want to know EXACTLY what was happening in my pool, I wouldn't be doing BBB to begin with, now would I? :lol:

I've noticed that mine has been using around 3.5/day when it's uncovered (direct sunlight from 10am-5pm).

I'm guessing with normal use on a sunny day it could use up to 4ppm. Haven't had it uncovered/in use all day yet this year.

I lose crazy amounts this time of year due to wind blowing in pollen and other dried plants material into my pool, as well as very intense summer solstice levels of sunshine. We're close to the solar maximum at the moment.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.