I recently bought a house with a 20,000 gal in-ground pool. It's time to open it for the season, and I have never done that before. A local pool service company took off the cover, vacuumed part of the bottom (pretty gross), threw in 4 bags of chlorine-based shock and left. Two days later I took a sample to their store. My pool was already in their computer because they worked with the previous owner. They told me that owner used bromine. I confirmed that with the owner. I asked the store if I could just switch to chlorine, they said yes, and sold me a bunch of bicarb, calcium chloride, chlorine tabs and shock.
Then I did some reading on this site, and switching from bromine to chlorine looks challenging--especially because this is a summer home and I'm only there on weekends. So I can't make adjustments several times each day.
I've ordered a TF-100 kit (not here yet), bought 8 gallons of bleach and I'm ready to do something--just not sure what... I'd appreciate some advice.
Should I just go with bromine?
Will my TF-100 measure bromine--just so I can be sure that there really is bromine in the pool?
The water is greenish/cloudy now. If shocking with the bleach would be the first step anyway, should I just go ahead and do that?
Confused in Rhode Island.