Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Non-OEM Replacement Filters

1. Back To Top    #1

Ridgefield, CT

Non-OEM Replacement Filters

Is there a reason to get only OEM replacement cartridges? I purchased non-Jandy cartridges last year (manufactured by Pleatco). They seem to get "dirty" faster and result in quicker increases in psi. I found that my old Unicel cartridges could take a greater beating than the Pleatco ones while keeping the pressure in the preferred range. In addition, it seems like they did a slightly better job of catching the small junk that often goes through the filter and shoots back out the returns when I am running with the Pleatco cartridges. I have noticed that the Unicel cartridges feel more substantial. They are heavier. And the center is bi-sected, whereas the center of the Pleatco cartridges are completely hollow.
    33,000 gallon plaster pool
    Jandy L-Series -CL580 Cartridge Filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Non-OEM Replacement Filters

There's nothing wrong using non-oem filters as long as you're satisfied with the performance. Different mfgs us different materials, different weaves & different manufacturing designs. Not saying they're bad, just different.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3
    Pleasanton, CA

Re: Non-OEM Replacement Filters

This is second hand, but I have heard of reports that Pleatco sells inferior cartridges made of thinner material that don't last as long. However, Unicel & Filbur are viewed as equal to an OEM cartridge.
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner