Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Yup I jinxed myself!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Yup I jinxed myself!!

so last night I posted pics of my crystal clear pool water. So then late last night I brushed down pool and vacuumed as usual then back washed and rinsed filter. I put my solar cover on and added water to my pool as my level was starting to get low. I was all excited as my TF-100 test kit was scheduled to arrive this morning at my house(its actually there now, but i'm at work) This morning when leaving for work my pool was green. I had been using the Walmart test kit while waiting for the real one to show up and everything was kosher(til this morning). these are the things I know about my fill water. I'm on a well so I have alot of Iron and I know I have a high level of manganese in my water which I'm sure is partly the cause to all this. After testing last night and using pool calculator I had to add 222 oz of bleach. Below are the results of the Walmart test kit. everything had been pretty much spot on for the last week the only thing that was changing was the chlorine levels and I was adding as needed.

OTO test = 4
    PH =7.5
    TA = 100
    CH = 260
    CYA = 40

However, I am not worried as I know I can get it back and I get to use a real test kit tonight (just wish I could skip out of work and get to it) and correct this issue.
    POOL SIZE: 27 FT round 52" Deep on edges 66" Deep in center
    FILTER TYPE: Hayward Sand Filter
    PUMP SIZE: Hayward 1 HP Pump 60GPM
    FILTER SIZE/FLOW RATE: Unknown
    HEATER: None at the moment but in process of making my solar panels should be operational by next season!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Yup I jinxed myself!!

Tell us more about the green, when did it show up, what does it look like, had you added a lot of bleach or changed the pH just before it showed up? It is possible that the green is from metals, not from algae.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

Its a dark green showed up this morning or sometime through the night. As I stated above I am on a well that I fill with so yes it could be metals I do have Iron and I do have a lot of manganese in the water, As I have to unplug water softener every year or so for my house water. I am drilling a new well this year so that issue will be gone by the end of the summer. I did not change PH as it was at 7.5 I added 222 ounces of 6% Bleach per the pool calculator. My test kit arrived this morning so as soon as I can get out of work I can do a full accurate test and post results

*EDIT* The more I think of this I am leaning towards it being metals as the water is green but I can see through it, and my test results for the last week were good and I added water last night. But, as stated I need to use my brand new test kit I just received and will be picking up some metal magic on the way home from work. I will post all steps results and pictures of the process as my way of contributing to the site and helping others with the same issue

Now how do I get out of work so I can do this
    HEATER: None at the moment but in process of making my solar panels should be operational by next season!

4. Back To Top    #4

So I got my test kit when I got home and ran a full test here are the results and pic the water has a slightly greener tint then the pic suggests. So as stated above I'm certain its the metals in the water

FC = 6
    PH = 7.5
    TA = 250
    CH = 200
    CYA = 40
    CC = 0
    Borates = 30

Will perform FC loss test tonight
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Back To Top    #5

This is 2 hrs after adding metal magic and brushing and vacuuming out pool looks like it's getting better.. Just need to check FC loss in morning

6. Back To Top    #6

Woke up this morning and checked pool.. = Cloudy = Oh OH! checked FC Loss and = FAIL!!! went from 6 to 4 overnight. I brought pool up to shock level before leaving for work. Just wish I had the day off to attack this think. Jobs! Well not that bad if I didn't have a job I guess I wouldn't have my pool right? I think I should be OK though as the Sun doesn't hit my pool till about an hour before I get done so hopefully It stays near shock level minimum till I get home.

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok got home now pool is milky white

Test Results
    FC = 7.5
    CC = 0.5
    PH = 8.2
    TA = Didnt test was 250 Last night
    CH = Didnt test was 200 Last night
    CYA = 60
    Borates = Didnt test was 30 Last night

I added 128 oz of Muriatic acid a few minutes ago. Keep at shocking process I suppose

8. Back To Top    #8

Yep, keep at it. You're on the right track. Do keep in mind that when your FC levels are up your Ph will not test accurately.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Suziqzer
    Yep, keep at it. You're on the right track. Do keep in mind that when your FC levels are up your Ph will not test accurately.
    Thats the plan I'm on it I attacked this thing all night checking FC Levels, Vacuuming, brushing ,backwashing drinking an ice cold beverage (The best part of the shocking process)

This morning FC loss was 1.0 (Criteria 1. Overnight FC loss 1.0 or less) = Pass
    CC Levels = 0.5 (Criteria 2. CC's 0.5 or less) = Pass
    Water is slightly cloudy ( Criteria 3. water is clear) = Fail

The end result = Keep shocking almost there

ITs going to be hotter then blazes this weekend and its going to be hard pressed to keeep the kids out of the pool. What are ok swimming levels for the chlorine? Can I let them drop a bit when its hot let them swim a bit (a couple hours) Keep testing and watching my FC levels and bring them back up when they are done and continue the process? I am assuming this would be OK. I would prefer they didnt want to swim but its been hot the last 2 days and going to be wayyy hotter the next 2 and the little rascals have been so patient and helpfull with getting the pool ready for today and tomorrow it going to be awful hard to keep them out.

10. Back To Top    #10

The next time your FC level is 10 or lower, test and adjust the PH to 7.2.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

Will check pH next time FC below to 10

Another question is since I know I have high iron and maganenes in my water should I plan on putting in metal magic on a regular basis as this happens every time I fill a large quantity of water

12. Back To Top    #12

Whoot Whoot I'm getting there

13. Back To Top    #13

And we are good to go whoop whoop... Just in the neck of time TFP and BBB successful