Tiling above the skimmer?

I took a picture of pool being built down the street and I noticed that above the skimmer, the pool company turned a 20" x 20" tile upside down. So they had something to attach the coping to. But since it needs to be 20" x 20" it doesn't match the waterline tiles.

For my pool, I'm planning on using some stegmeier cantilever forms for my deck/coping. So I'll need to do something to support the concrete deck/coping, but I'd like to use the same tiles above the skimmer that I use for the waterline (1" mosiacs"). So I was thinking of using a 20" tile but turning it the other way and attaching my tile to the bottom of the 20" tile. Has anyone ever tried this or can anyone recommend an alternative. I considered using some DurRock instead of a 20" tile but I'm concerned that will flex too much.

Interesting. You could probably get something pretty close in color in a 20x20, but it may not match perfectly. I agree that durock probably isn't the answer. That being said, once the pool is done, you'll never notice that the tile doesn't match. I am sitting here thinking and I have no idea what the underside of the coping in the skimmer looks like in my pool :)

I would use something less brittle than a ceramic tile. Durock or something like Hardy Panel maybe? I dropped a bottle of beer on my kitchen floor on the ceramic tile. After I made sure the beer was okay I noticed their was a considerable chip in the tile.

On my pool, they used an aluminum plate for the same purpose. Sturdy and no issues with cracking, etc. I only know what it is because I saw them install it. Other than that, I've never noticed what is there even swimming in the pool. Shouldn't be an issue for you if it doesn't match.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.