Bacquacil Pool - want to convert but need help first w/mold!

Jun 7, 2012
We've read as much as we can about mold removal & conversion to chlorine, but need specific help please. We just opened pool this Tues (6/5) & was clear until about hour after filter was running & then greenish deposits in pool bottom & white tissue floater - realize it's white mold/pink fungus, etc. :(
Went to pool store & gave us Bac CDX 4 bags to "shock" pool - also told to brush down all areas (which we did & added the CDX), then vacuum to waste & run filter til clear (the water is fairly clear right now). Then told to come back for "clarifier" and then could convert to chlorine. Is this correct?
We're ready to vacuum to waste & run filter again. Over 10 yrs without a problem & now this mess. We've been meticulous about upkeep, but guess it got into filter anyway - also let garden hose run clean before adding water. Please, if anyone could guide us through the steps. Thanks in advance.

Re: Bacquacil Pool - want to convert but need help first w/m

Welcome to TFP!

If you are converting to chlorine in any case, there is no point in adding any more baqua related products. The conversion process will take care of everything that might need to be done.

There is a good write up on how to do a conversion in Pool School, here, and lots of people here who will be happy to walk you through the whole process.

JasonLion said:
There is a good write up on how to do a conversion in Pool School, here, and lots of people here who will be happy to walk you through the whole process.

Thank you for your answer. Just to be clear, if we convert, then we don't have to go through all the steps to get rid of the mold? The conversion process will clear it up? If that's correct, that would be great! :party:

Last June I converted my Bacquacil Pool to Chlorine after 4 years of horrible water mold, nasty pink slime, and giving myself and lots of family and friends bad skin problems. My pool has been trouble free ever since thanks to this brilliant site. I took a video of the conversion which I still keep meaning to post online.

Yes JerryT, the conversion process will take care of everything, water mold included. Stop adding anymore Bacqua chemicals, buy yourself the T-100 test kit with the extra amount of reagents and start looking for the best bleach/liquid chlorine prices in town while you wait for your test kit to arrive. My 12,000 gallon pool took 50+ gallons of 10% chlorine to convert. I had a serious amount of Bacqua sanitizer, CDX and water mold/pink slime in my pool. I converted it in a week. But I was on top of it every hour for the first 4 days.

How big is your pool? What kind of filter do you have?

Thanks Matt B. I have an 8,500 gal in-ground pool & I use a DE filter. Right now robot vacuuming pool & will sterilize after finished. Also seriously considering emptying pool, scrubbing everything down & starting up w/chlorine. Did I mention this is a brand new pool lining - just had it done last July, so the thought of chlorine bleaching out the color of my new liner doesn't appeal either, but I guess it's better than the mold.

Yes, if your water costs are low, I would seriously consider draining and refilling. It turns out I could have saved a lot of money doing so. My water costs 1/2 cent per gallon. So it would have only cost me 60 bucks to refill as opposed to the $150 bucks on chlorine.

WARNING! Draining your in-ground pool can seriously damage it! It can float, crack, and the vinyl can pull away from the sides (you didn't say if yours was vinyl or not). You really need to search this site and talk to your pool builder before you drain it any significant amount.

That said, it will definitely save you time and possibly money by doing a drain/refill. On the other hand, you will miss out on an exciting, colorful adventure with the conversion process. :)

Also, going through the conversion process taught me really how manage my testing and monitoring of my pool. Like I said, I have never had any problems with my pool (never had to shock except when opening this year) since converting and using the methods described in The Pool School link on the top right of these pages.

Oh, and that water mold, pink slime is hiding everywhere in your pool. It is in your water lines, your pump, your filter, and behind any lights and steps you may have. It is nasty stuff. I couldn't believe how thick a mat of that stuff there was behind my light fixture. So, even if you do do a drain/refill, you are going to need to go through the conversion/shock process anyway. But it will require a lot less bleach and time.

Matt B, thanks for the info. Will keep you updated on the progress & may not drain just to see the color show! :wink:
btw, this is a really helpful site - glad I found it.

If you drain still plan on a few days of work. Baqua will be everywhere still. Lights, skimmer, steps, bla bla bla. If you get a good kit and pay attention to the levels here you don't need to worry about the liner. A swap last summer took me 2 weeks-ish but after that around 10 minutes a day is it.

Thanks Leebo & I was just looking at your conversion pics. Asa I start, I'll post pics. Think I'll do it w/out the pool drainage as the cost to refill is a bit high here in NY. Pool is vinyl liner (not even a season old) & approx 8500 gal, rectangle shape - DE filter. Based on other posts, I'm guesstimating 7 days or so... :? I'll post progress as I'm sure I'm going to need some help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

One suggestion I must restate then is to stop adding baquacil products to the Pool. The swap will make all sorts of gunk on its own. Don't worry about fixing one issue before making another. Our swap took place with the pool having white mold (as per the pool store) and just shocking it took care of it. Save your cash and forget baqua.

Haven't added any add'l baqua since the eve of 6/6 w/the cdx - wish I hadn't done that now :oops:
Currently, one member of the team (my wife) is advocating salt water conversion, but I've got pavers around the pool & have heard salt water may cause staining, although others have said not true w/pavers. Also the cost...what to do. Meanwhile the pool has now turned a paler shade of green. Gotta go, but my wife will be doing research for salt water pools on this site.

Shhhhh salt water pools and chlorine pools are mostly the same thing. ;)

Hi Leebo - I'm "the wife" & I'm a quick reader (and learner) - you are right, it's chlorine conversion for us. I know next to nothing about pool care, but this site is great. Poor Jerry is heartbroken that after approx 15 yrs (really) the baqua has finally turned on him. I think when he gets home later we're making a trip to the store for bleach. Do you suggest liquid at 12% - we've got a HD & Lowe's that sells is fairly cheap. Also, how much to start for 8500 gal/inground vinyl/Hayward pump & DE filter? (probably have tons of baqua & white mold everywhere). Thanks so much for your help.

Step 1 would be order the TF100 and the XL refill. No way I'd try this without that! Buy it before he gets off work so it will be shipped today. I would guess (only a guess as each is different) you will use around 100 gallons of 6% bleach. If you post the prices in your area of chlorine we can figure out which is cheapest for you. Any questions you've got we'll answer....as long as you post photos. I'd also suggest a bag of DE as you will use a ton of it. Might even help to top the pool off now as much will be backflushed.

Tell him not to worry about baqua. My Inlaws, who's pool I upkeep used baquacil for around 18 years before we swapped. The water was often "clear".....but always still had a cloudy nature to it. They just chalked it up to the liner not being a light color. They easily spent $700 a year on baqua chemicals alone just to upkeep it. If you left town we just planned on fighting algae when we got back. Even towards the end just turned off the pump for vacations, as we knew the end result. After the swap, we now spend about $10 a week in chemicals and have always had a pool full of sparkles. Now you can't often see the deep end, due to the shine coming from the water!

Welcome to the site.....you will enjoy your pool here in about two weeks!

Edit.....forget the 100 gallons guess. That is way high now that I re-read and see the size of your pool. It took about that for our 25k gallon pool

ok thanks, but in the meantime what do we do? run filter - add any bleach - etc?
promise to start a conversion with photo thread as soon as we begin the process.

After you order tf100.....read...read...read pool school.

I myself would turn run the pump as normal. Add one gallon of 12% or two gallons 6% every 4 hours. The FC level will drop very quickly, but this will start burning off some baqua. It's not going to do much, but better than just sitting in my mind. If you're not worried about time, but more about cash then just turn off the pump and forget you have a pool until the kit shows up.

Reading..reading..& reading some more now :shock:
would rather have this thing going so will run filter & add cheapest chlorine while we wait - thanks again & will have conversion post (with pics) asap :wave:

Just keep rocking this post after the swap starts. You've already got several people on this tread ready for questions.

OK, I'm home and after consulting with my pool guy, the decision has been made to drain the pool, give everything a good scrub and refill using chlorine. Sorry there won't be dramatic pics, but I will post current disgusting pics & then hopefully, really nice clear pics.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.