Nebie question

I am new to this forum and am so grateful to have found it. We bought a house this past October. We have never owned a pool before. My questions is this. If we have been using granular chlorine and tablets, is it okay to start the BBB method or will I screw up our pool? We have a 20 x40 in ground pool, 35, 000 gallons and vinyl liner. I have ordered one of the test kits recommended here but have not received it yet. We have had trouble maintaining chlorine and pH has been consistently low below 6.8. Water has been dull and cloudy. I really just want to know if we can start using BBB method even though we didn't open the pool this way? Thanks.

Welcome to TFP!

You can switch at will. BBB is more about knowledge than chemistry. You know what is going on with your water and you know what effect adding different chemicals will have. The key to BBB is having a good test kit so you can get accurate and frequent pool chemistry status updates.

Sure, BBB is not really about Bleach, Baking Soda, etc, it is about knowing the effects that chemicals have on your pool, and how to manage a pool effectively. It just so happens that most of the time most of us (at least the ones without SWG's) use bleach / liquid chlorine for chlorination, this is because all forms of solid chlorinations (granules, sticks, pucks, etc.) have secondary effects that we normally want to avoid, read pool school in the upper right corner of any page here, order one of the suggested good test kits (I use the TF-100 from TFtestkits, it provides a good value in reagents and helps support this site), then read pool school again. Note I above I said normally want to avoid, many of us keep different types of dry chlorine on hand, but it is for special occasions, I know I keep some trichlor pucks around that I can put in the floater in case of emergency (vacation, prolonged power outage, etc.), I also keep some powdered dichlor "shock" on hand as it will boost chlorine as well as CYA stabilizer levels, so when my CYA level gets a little low. I just sprinkle in some dichlor when I need to boost chlorination like after a swim party and it does both jobs at once, and I don't have to worry about messing with hard to disolve CYA stabilizer.

Ike

p.s. oh and go back and read pool school again, and once your done with that take a break for a bit and read it again, it really does make more sense the 2nd and 3rd time through

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.