Opening my pool to a green "swamp"

1stTimeHomeOwner

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 7, 2012
Southwest Ohio
Split off of this topic. JasonLion

First time pool owner here, keeping an eye on this thread as I am also to the same stage in the cleaning process, blue murky water. Just received my TF100XL pool test kit yesterday, will be testing water tonight after work.

Had my water tested at the pool store prior to any treatment, but the slip they gave me, handwritten, only has some of the initial readings on it, most say OK. Had purchased a smaller 4 way kit, but it doesn't have the FC, CH or CYA testing. My pH was OK-LOW, but my testing put it around 7.2, TA is 110, Chlorine over 3 (only goes to 3).

So far, I have found the entire website truly informative and very helpful. Opening my pool to a green "swamp", and getting this far in my first pool season, while trying to do the majority of the work myself, makes me feel confident I will be able to correct any condition that may arise, even though most of my friends have asked why I just didn't have a pool company do it for me. My answer to them, "I wouldn't learn anything about pool care."

Problem: Cloudy blue pool water

FC: 7.5
TC: 8
pH: 7.2
TA: 110
CH: 320
CYA:30

Here are the new readings using the new test kit. I'm thinking my CH is too high, based on reading the levels required for a vinyl lined pool. Clarifier dropped out all the dead algae, have swept that to waste and refilled the pool water level to normal. I run the filter 24/7, and backwash when needed.

Am I heading in the right direction?

The CH is a little high but not bad. It can be managed at that level. The question is how did it get to that level? Do you have high CH in the fill water or did you use cal-hypo products for a chlorine source at one point?

According to the pool calculator your shock level is 13, so you want to try and keep the FC at 13 as much as possible. Raise the FC up to 13 tonight and check the FC again in the morning, preferably before the sun hits the pool. Post how much FC you lost overnight, and keep the FC as close to shock level as you can until the shock process is complete (lose less than 1 ppm overnight, crystal clear water, & .5 CC or less).

Took a sample to the pool store over Memorial Day Weekend, got the handwritten test results mentioned above, which were:
Problem: Green

FC:
TC: no
pH: low - OK
TA: 40
CH: 90
CYA:eek:k

They had me add 15# Alkalinity+ (broadcast 4# at a time every 3 hrs), 42# of Calcium (deicer type), 9 Gal of Pool Shock to start. I kept the pool in shock as best as possible, adding more each day til the algae was dead. Ran out of liquid chlorine at one point and had to get a case of HtH Super Shock from Wal-Mart, as the pool store is closed by the time I get home. Also, I vacuumed out a bunch of leaves and debris from the deep end.

Once the water turned blue last weekend, noted the cloudiness and shocked it again as best I could using the 4 way test kit, picked up a 7 way test strip kit and tested the water. FC was at 15. Have been vacuuming the settlements to waste, running filter 24/7, haven't added any chlorine for 3 days at this point.

Yes it is, plus you added 42 lbs of calcium in addition to the HTH stuff. The good news is your source water appears to be very low in CH, so the CH level will fall as you refill from vacuuming to waste and splash-out.

I have to tell you that test strips are not very reliable, especially for the shock process. You may want to consider purchasing a TF 100. It will enable you to test higher levels of chlorine and you will have the test results you need when you need them to help keep the pool balanced.

Here is what it looked like at opening

IMAG0285.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.