Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool calculator is confusing ,how much bleach? Please help

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool calculator is confusing ,how much bleach? Please help

Hi all, Please help. I had my water tested while buying a new testing kit(got a Taylor K-2005) I want to do BBB this year. Cover had holes so water is dirty with bottom sediment CYA 70 FC 0.4 TC 0.4 PH 6.8 Just opened pool and filled to level. I tried to do the pool calculator and don't really understand it. I know I will vacuum but I would think I have to shock with bleach as I just opened it and there is a yucky color to water clear on top more towards bottom water tested no algae. How much would I add? 17,200 gal 27ft ABG with a petair 1.5 cartridge filter
    12,500 gallon 4-6-4 gunnite sport pool. 1HP Water Ace (too big, but I had it from a previous pool), 3.1^2 FT Hayward sand filter, AutoPilot Nano, Baracuda MX-8 cleaner, 8'x20' solar panels, and a water fall with a home-grown automation system.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool calculator is confusing ,how much bleach? Please he

Do you know your TA level? That has a large impact on what you need to do to adjust the PH. PH should be adjusted as soon as possible.

With CYA at 70, I suggest you aim for an initial FC level of 10. in 17,200 gallons that is just under 4 - 96 oz jugs of 6% bleach. Watch how your FC level behaves from there, if it falls quickly you will need to shock properly.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Do you know your TA level? That has a large impact on what you need to do to adjust the PH. PH should be adjusted as soon as possible.

With CYA at 70, I suggest you aim for an initial FC level of 10. in 17,200 gallons that is just under 4 - 96 oz jugs of 6% bleach. Watch how your FC level behaves from there, if it falls quickly you will need to shock properly.
    My TA 0 and Adj TA is 0
    12,500 gallon 4-6-4 gunnite sport pool. 1HP Water Ace (too big, but I had it from a previous pool), 3.1^2 FT Hayward sand filter, AutoPilot Nano, Baracuda MX-8 cleaner, 8'x20' solar panels, and a water fall with a home-grown automation system.

4. Back To Top    #4

With a TA of zero your pH is about 4.5. You need to get that TA up to about 80 immediately. And then test and adjust the pH up to about the mid 7's.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    With a TA of zero your pH is about 4.5. You need to get that TA up to about 80 immediately. And then test and adjust the pH up to about the mid 7's.

Can I do that by adding the baking soda? and how much?

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes. Use the pool calculator to figure out how much you need.

How big is your pool?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

With the pH that low, I'd use pH Up (Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda) first and when the pH is closer to your desired target or at least above 7.0, then I'd use baking soda to get the TA up the rest of the way if necessary.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

8. Back To Top    #8

For a 17,000 gallon pool with a TA of zero it'll take 14 lbs of washing soda to bring the pH up to the mid 7's. I'd add 10 lbs and test again to see where you are.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator