Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How Long is shocking process?

1. Back To Top    #1

How Long is shocking process?

I am going through my first shocking process. It began 3 days ago (2 overnights). In my first overnight FC test, I was up to shock level before bed. The next AM, I had lost 18ppm; Last night I lost 7.5 ppm. Meanwhile, I have been spending quite a bit of money on bleach and my trash can is full of empty bleach jugs. I'm just wondering how long this could go on before I can get into maintenance mode maintaining a much lower FC. Any guidance would be helpful. I'm still new to the forum and pool ownership. Thank you.
    30,000 gallon, IG, Vinyl, Sand Filter, Hayward Super Pump - 3450 RPM, 1.5 HP
    South Central Kentucky

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How Long is shocking process?

If usually takes two or three days, but occasionally can stretch into a week or two.

We can give you much more detailed help if you post a complete set of water test results.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Well, the easy answer is it takes as long as it takes. However that is not helpful. Each pool is different and each algae outbreak is different. Most will clear in 4-7 days depending on how bad the outbreak was and how well you are able to keep the water at shock level during the process. Since most folks work and can't test and replenish chlorine every couple of hours that tends to extend the length of time it takes to clear the pool.

I feel your pain. We are restricted to 1 trash pick-up per week and that is limited to what will fit in an extra large trash can supplied by the city. While I was going through my first major shock process I started a pile of bleach bottles against the fence that we dubbed Mt Chlorox. I shared some empties with my crafty friends and took the rest (about 3 bags full of flattened bottles) to the local recycling drop off.

As much as you are spending on bleach, clearing the pool would be even more expensive using pool store products, and would potentially cause more problems in the process as well. It sounds like you are making good progress. How does the water look?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Ph - 7.5
    FC - 12.5 (this am - I have now added bleach to get back to shock level of 20)
    CC - .5
    TA - 140
    CH - 260
    CYA - 50
    South Central Kentucky

5. Back To Top    #5

water is still cloudy especially in deep end - I can see main drain, but it's foggy
    South Central Kentucky

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by BCannon
    water is still cloudy especially in deep end - I can see main drain, but it's foggy
    one issue might be that you have to keep it above shock level. if you just raise it to shock level it immediately starts to fall so you are never actually at shock level.
    17,800 gallon, IG pool, 595 sq feet (17x35x4.5 avg rectangle), Hayward 525 cartridge filter, diamondbrite, 2 hp 2 speed hayward tristar filter, Stenner 45mhp10 automatically chlorinating

7. Back To Top    #7

Have patience. I started out with clear water almost a month ago (had visable dead algea and failed OCLTs) and am STILL in shock mode. Stick with it and do NOT let it drop under shock level - you'll be starting all over again! Definately put it a little over shock level to give yourself time between doses.
    AG, 10,400 gallons, filter cartridge, 2HP pump
    Coffeegoddss...bonafide thread killer!
    POOL SCHOOL...fortheloveofgawd, read POOL SCHOOL

8. Back To Top    #8

ok - I didn't realize I had to add bleach to get it above shock level. I have been adding enough each time to get it to shock level, and then obviously every time that I check it, it has fallen below. Thank you.
    South Central Kentucky

9. Back To Top    #9

How deep is a hole?

There's no way to know in advance. It depends on how much organic crud is in the bottom, how good your filter is, how diligent you are about maintaining the level, and how gooey the green water started.

If you have a full set of test results, and your CH is low enough, you could use Cal-hypo powder as a chlorine source. Empty plastic bags take up much less space than bleach jugs.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

Also, my kids really want to actually swim in the pool. If I keep it above shock level, they shouldn't swim.
    South Central Kentucky

11. Back To Top    #11

CH is 260 - full set of results above.
    South Central Kentucky

12. Back To Top    #12

I had to cure a messy nasty swamp....mine was in full shock for a month, but the last 2 weeks, my pool wasn't consuming much bleach. As you near the end of the process (when the high chlorine levels have killed off most of the algae and guk), you don't have to add as much bleach to maintain shock levels. The first week was the most difficult for me in the shock process. The last 2 weeks, I wasn't adding much bleach at all to maintain shock levels. Be patient. Seems like a lot, but when compared to how much you would have spent on chemicals/pool service.....it is way less. Your pool will be right as rain here shortly.
    9400 Gallon Above Ground, Vinyl Liner, 20 foot round, 4 feet deep 2 filter cartidges one Type B in the skimmer, and a C-50 hayward in the big box, 1/2 Horsepower Dynaflo Pump. TF100 Test Kit, well water, clean with Iron used for filling (CH of fill water is 450).

13. Back To Top    #13

Thank you, Tom, for the encouragement. Do you have a recommendation about how many ppm above shock level I should try to maintain. My shock level is 20 and I've been trying to keep it there, but I have'nt been adding bleach to take me above that figure. Since I can only check and add a couple of times a day, should I shoot for 22, 25, 30?
    South Central Kentucky

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by BCannon
    Thank you, Tom, for the encouragement. Do you have a recommendation about how many ppm above shock level I should try to maintain. My shock level is 20 and I've been trying to keep it there, but I have'nt been adding bleach to take me above that figure. Since I can only check and add a couple of times a day, should I shoot for 22, 25, 30?
    If shock level is 20, and it drops to, say, 15 in 4 hours, then run it up to 25. Then 4 hours later it should be at about 20. Or whatever your numbers are.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

15. Back To Top    #15

Thank you, Richard. Helpful.
    South Central Kentucky