Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How do you blow out the lines?

1. Back To Top    #1

How do you blow out the lines?

I want to put my hot tub to sleep for a couple of months this summer. I looked around, but didn't find a good description of how to blow out the lines. I have two pumps, both accessible, with drain plugs. Do I blow them out from the pumps? Alternatively, can I just go up to 20-30 ppm on the chlorine and leave it as it certainly won't freeze.

Thanks
    Chris
    19,000 vinyl pool, solar heat, .75 hp tristar, 48 sq ft de filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How do you blow out the lines?

dont know much about spas but why cant you just drain it since it wont freeze? i would think you could use a shop vac, there are probably unions that can be taken apart near your pump too. oh and also a pump drain plug like on your pool pump
    17,000 gal inground
    vinyl
    swg
    3hp 8 returns
    heat siphon heat pump

3. Back To Top    #3

I believe he's thinking of blowing out the lines after draining in order to avoid biofilm formation in the piping so that he can avoid dealing with that when he refills again.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4

Exactly. Last time I drained the spa for a couple of months in the summer, I had significant biofilm and it took a while to clear it all out. Since I have never done theis before and it is not a piece of cake o get to the pumps, i was wondering if there is anything that might help me, instead of me just winging it.
    19,000 vinyl pool, solar heat, .75 hp tristar, 48 sq ft de filter