I am a new TFP user this year. I have added borax to my pool and I am getting closer to being balanced. I have a few questions.
First, here are my current testing information. pH is 7.2 and Chlorine is 0.5. I just have a basic test kit thus far. The pool looks pretty clear but is not sparkling yet.
My plan was to do the following;
1. Add more borax to bring up my pH level.
2. Add more chlorine to bring up my Chlorine level
My questions are this;
1. I do not have any borates test strips. Is it important to test borate level or can I react to what my pH levels are? So far this year I have added about 22lbs of borax to my pool)
2. I was told by another TFP member to test water level at night and determine ichlorine level. Then test the next morning. If the chlorine level drops then I do not have enough chlorine in the pool. Do you agree?
3. My TFP friend stated to do this nightly/monring test every day until the chlorine leve does not drop.
4. She also suggested to start with a very high chlorine level of 10 or 11. My basic test kit does not measure that high. What do you recommend?
5. As I have been raising my pH level I have NOT been adding muriatic acid - is that OK?
6. Last question is once I get water balanced - do I really need the advanced test kits TF-100 or Taylor Kit? Or can I use a basic test kit?
Thanks for all of your help!