Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Large Discrepancy in Cl tests??

1. Back To Top    #1

Large Discrepancy in Cl tests??

Three days ago i tested and had a reading of 6 ppm or so ...... had a rainy cloudy day with literally no sun and the solar cover on and i tested the following night and still had a reading of 5 which made sense to me with the cover on and no sunlight.

I added enough bleach to raise me to 6 or 6.5 or so ....... missed the following night due to a baseball game and didn't test or add bleach since we had another (gotta love the northeast) cloudy day with no sun and i figured i could go two days without any problem as i had gone to 6 or 7 ppm and figured i might lose 1 or 2 ppm each day and i should have been fine.

Well imagine my surprise when i do the daily test (OTO?) and got a reading of almost 0 .... i started to freak out and run for the bleach when i thought to myself that there is no way i should be at 0 and instead of adding bleach i did the drop test and lo and behold it read 4 ppm just like i expected to see.

I have also noticed my daily test showing well over 5 ppm but the drop test showed 4 or so.

Any thoughts?
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Large Discrepancy in Cl tests??

To me the OTO test is a good go/no-go test but if you really want to know what the FC is you should use the FAS-DPD test. It's the best and most accurate.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    To me the OTO test is a good go/no-go test but if you really want to know what the FC is you should use the FAS-DPD test. It's the best and most accurate.

i am not trying to argue by any means but i guess based on what i saw i would almost say it isn't good as a go / no go test ......... it showed no chlorine when i had 4ppm and it has also shown over 5 with a fas-dpd test of 3 as well

any chance i am doing it wrong??
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

4. Back To Top    #4

Not sure. I would say it's bad reagent, but you're apparently getting a reading some of the time. There may be something interfering with the test but I haven't heard of that before.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Not sure. I would say it's bad reagent, but you're apparently getting a reading some of the time. There may be something interfering with the test but I haven't heard of that before.
    Just got the kit a couple of weeks ago and it has been this way from the start

The simple ph seems to be ok ... which i know is really irrelevant

I will keep an eye on it and perhaps pm duraleigh but just do the drop test in the meantime .... i prefer the improved accuracy anyway

i think it's pretty cool i have been able to accurately predict my readings after only a couple of weeks
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner