Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Aqua Mate brand CYA

1. Back To Top    #1

Aqua Mate brand CYA

I've been buying Aqua Mate cya last summer and this spring because a local Ocean State Job Lot carries it and it is cheap, 13.99 for 7 lbs. It has been a struggle to get our cya up to the level we want and, duh, it just occurred to me that maybe the cya isn't 100% cya. So, I read the label and all it says is " active ingredient: cya". I read the table on the side re how much to add for x gallon pool to raise cya y ppm. Based on that, I would estimate it is around 80-85% cya. But, based on my results, I think the percentage is more like 60%.

Anyone have experience with this brand. I won't be buying it again, but I still have about 5 lbs left.
    19,000 gallons, Well Water
    Stay-Rite System 3 Cartridge filter
    IG vinyl, MasterTemp 400 Propane heater
    Intellichlor 40 SWG, 2006 Taylor Test Kit with Speed Stirrer
    1.5 HP Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Aqua Mate brand CYA

See if the label matches any of the info on this MSDS http://www.baleco.com/files/Baleco_Cond ... r_MSDS.pdf
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yep, that's the stuff. 98%. And yet it is a struggle to get my level above 40 or 50.
    1.5 HP Pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Maybe your pool holds more water than you think?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

That's a possibility, but the pool calculator works perfectly for everything other than cya when adding chemicals and assuming 19000 gallons. It's a mystery.
    1.5 HP Pump