Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: quick question about adding calcium increaser

1. Back To Top    #1

quick question about adding calcium increaser

Hello!
    Just fine-tuning my water balance after (fingers crossed!) finishing up shocking my pool.
    Current numbers:
    Fc 9.0 cc 0
    pH 7.6
    TA. 150
    salt 3600
    CYA 60
    CH. 210-220
    I'd like to increase my CH to around 250. My tap water does not have high CH (=80ppm)
    so I don't expect to gain any CH from fill water, and I never use cal hypo.
    Pool calculator says my 15 # bucket of CH increaser will raise CH by 55 which should be about right. I have looked through old posts, which suggest mixing no more than 5# in a 5 gallon bucket of pool water, and adding the mix to the pool in front of a
    return. Since I have become very attached to my pool sparkles, I'd like to prevent the CH additions from causing calcium clouding. Do you see anything in my test #s to indicate that clouding would be likely? I was planning on only adding about 5# per day to the pool, in the morning. I will also need to add bleach to the pool in the
    evening( just a quart or 2), and I read that you should avoid adding anything that will increase pH while adding CH.
    So I've managed to confuse myself a bit as to how to best go about increasing CH and keeping FC where it should be too.
    30000 gallon inground gunite pool
    Intelliflo ic-60 SWG, pentair tagelus sand filter, 1.5 hp whisperflo pump, tf 100 test kit,
    2 kids(tl), 1 mini-dachshund/lab mix(t),
    Central Illinois

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: quick question about adding calcium increaser

Why?

I just plugged your numbers into the pool calculator, and CSI is fine. And will stay fine down to freezing temps or if TA drops in half.

Do you backwash a lot? Because otherwise, your CH is going to start climbing anyway from evaporation and refill.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: quick question about adding calcium increaser

Richard 320,
    thanks for the quick response. I have noticed that you are the resident calcium expert!
    Yes, the CSI is fine, but somewhere along the line I must have read that calcium levels below the recommended 250-350 for a plaster pool were likely to cause leaching of calcium from pool plaster into the water. I guess I also didn't expect the calcium to climb much from evaporation/refill since my fill water is pretty soft (CH = 80).
    But if you don't think it's a pressing issue to increase CH that's awesome - I could be that much closer to routine maintenance! I have had a busy first 6 weeks of this pool season, so getting into my daily routine like last year would be a relief!
    edit: now that my pool seems to be algae free my filter pressure climbs super slowly. I predict very infrequent backwasing(2x per month)
    30000 gallon inground gunite pool
    Intelliflo ic-60 SWG, pentair tagelus sand filter, 1.5 hp whisperflo pump, tf 100 test kit,
    2 kids(tl), 1 mini-dachshund/lab mix(t),
    Central Illinois