Drain Cap to sand filter broke? Question

reindeerboy

LifeTime Supporter
May 27, 2008
Jamestown, ND
My drain cap split in half and dang near emptied the pool into the backyard and flood my basement. Luckily I caught it and my sump pump handled the water.

My question now is this. I ordered a cap from pool center and it will come in 1-3 days, but what can I do in the meantime?

I think if I put some epoxy on the outside of the cap and let it harden, that it might stay good till the new one arrives. What do you guys think?

I am gonna look tommorrow after work to pickup some epoxy and start with that. Maybe it will allow my pump to run at least for a few hours each day till the cap arrives.

My other alternative is to call my local pool store 100 miles away and maybe they would have one? If they do, then I plan to drive there on Friday to pick it up. Worst case is that the pool would sit one or two days without running and get a little green till my part arrives.

Anyone have a better idea?

I think I would turn my valves off and see how soon I could get a replacement.

If you do try the epoxy for a temporary fix and it holds, I certainly wouldn't leave it running when I wasn't home... would hate to think of running the water too low and losing a pump too.

How big is this cap? You can buy rubber caps with a hose clamp for drain pipes.
flex.jpg

http://www.americanvalve.com/flex/flexpipecap.html

Same thing happened to me a few years ago. I used aqua mend from home depot to seal it up. It's a stick of putty that you knead together into a uniform color then apply to the crack. I think it's called something different now but they still have it.

Held that way for years until I finally remembered to get a new drain cap BEFORE the season started.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Richard, I like your flexible connectors. That would be a temp fix till the part arrives. I am going to try my pool store today first and if its a matter of running 100 miles to get it, then I would either tonight or first thing in the morning. If they dont have it, then I will look for the rubber flex gasget to run it a few hours each day WHILE I AM HOME of course to assist with keeping the algae at bay. 6-8 hours a day should do me till the part comes online as I did go ahead and order a couple from them too as a backup. Having a couple extra on hand is not a bad idea to have as those caps do get brittle over time.

Thanks guys for your suggestions.

I will let you know what happens or what I ended up doing.

Good one Dave. I actually read on this post earlier to do that so that is what I did today and then I ran to the pool store. Took 3 hours round trip, but they had the part and the cap is on! Its now running and life is good with a Beer in my hand. Wow it was hot here today. Got to 91. Pool felt awesome!

thanks guys for all your suggestions. In the meantime I picked up a spare cap just to have one on hand for down the road issues. They are only 8 bucks with tax so made sense to carry a spare!

Cheers guys and gals!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.