Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What is wrong with test strips?

1. Back To Top    #1

What is wrong with test strips?

I am new to this forum and I am very interested and like seeing the responses on other threads. There is good info here but I was just wondering why does everyone on this forum turn their heads to test strips and why are they inaccurate? I just purchased HTH 6 way test kit from Walmart but also have test strips. What is recommended to use? Thank you.
    -J E F F-
    Intex 14' round 48" deep above ground pool
    HTH 6 way test kit
    Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter 1600g/hr
    I live in southwest Missouri

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: What is wrong with test strips?

You'll find my answer in This thread. And some other peoples' experiences.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Pomeroy, Iowa

Re: What is wrong with test strips?

Welcome to TFP Jeff. Yes, there is very good info here, as I also found out back in '09. My experience is this with test strips: I found them very hard to differentiate the different levels of color, plus, especially when it comes to problem solving with water balance issues, I have found them to be horribly inaccurate, much like many others experience with "Pool Store" water tests (I haven't ever taken mine to a Pool Store for testing). I saw the light when having my problems of turning a swamp, & ordered a TF100 test kit available through links on this site. It's the best bang for the buck, & you can be in confidence that your own testing will be the most reliable.
    12,900 Gal. 24' X 48" ABG Vinyl Round (17th Birthday)
    1HP Hayward Pump w/S180T Hayward Sand Filter
    AquaTrol RJ SWCG 2011 startup
    TFP Method since '09, TF100
    50ppm Borates, June '12