Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water Runoff Toxicity from New Concrete

1. Back To Top    #1

Water Runoff Toxicity from New Concrete

Anyone know what the effects are to plants (grass & young trees/shrubs) with regard to water running off of new concrete?
    The water appears amber/green and is very "slimy" to the touch which means the pH is on the base side (probably 2 - 3 if I guessed). It is highly irritating to the skin.

Have approx 1000 sq ft of concrete pool patio that collects in the middle and runs off to one end into my grass right near a new tree.
    The earth worms hate it and make a mad dash away from the area.

Any info is helpful, thanks!
    20K gal pool, 2K gal spa, 3 HP Pentair 3050, Quad D.E., 400K BTU, 280 Polaris

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water Runoff Toxicity from New Concrete

Low pH is acidic, but you are correct that concrete is basic. 12 or 13 if my memory serves me. Any effect is going to be very temporary.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Water Runoff Toxicity from New Concrete

My bad (basic is on the high end, thanks for the correction) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ph_scale

I would not expect to see this once the concrete has cured. Furthermore, it will get a Kooldeck coating anyway.
    Nevertheless, I am just concerned during construction phase.
    20K gal pool, 2K gal spa, 3 HP Pentair 3050, Quad D.E., 400K BTU, 280 Polaris