I just got my 18' / 52" AG/vinyl filled with water last thursday. I added the stabilizer to the pool per the opening kit instructions. Then I added a gallon of 12% shock over the course of the next 24 hours, along with PH increase a little at a time, using the sample test strips that came with the pool as a guide. Then after reading more here, I added another gallon of 6% bleach on Sunday while I waited for the Taylor 2600 to arrive. The strips showed that my chlorine was 15-20/ PH in the ballpark and TA coming into range.
I have a chlorinator that uses tri-chlor tabs that I've had running on max (came with the pool, might as well use it up). I've run the filter for ~4 hours a day. There hasn't been much sun as it's been raining since Friday, so I suspect the chlorine has been at or above shock level for several days.
Kit came in today, #'s:
PH 7.8 (read indoors after dark, can't be positive)
The water is crystal clear. I'm guessing based on pool school that I need to check with an overnight FC loss and them I'm basically good to go?