Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: About to change to salt, current water conditions

1. Back To Top    #1

Milford, CT

About to change to salt, current water conditions

Hoping to change to SWG this weekend. Trying to get the water to an optimum conversion point, this is what I have so far (note, I havent tested CYA because I ran out of reagent....I know its important, just assume [I know, I know] that it will be at 70 or so before I start changing over)

FC - 13 (currently shocking, and after the CYA Ive added I *should* be somewhere around 60 or so so the FC isnt as high as it would seem)
    CC - 0
    pH - 7.8
    TA - 80
    CH - 90

All tests were done with the TF kit.

The only thing Im questioning is the pH...should I lower it before starting the conversion process? I know running the SWG will raise the pH, but Im not sure what dumping all the salt will do to it (if anything)

Also, I wanted to get borates into the there any advantage to doing it before, after, or during the SWG change over? My mind is telling me to wait since I dont want all those things changing at once.

Thanks in advance.

22K IG vinyl, .5HP Northstar pump, S244T filter, AutoPilot Digital w/SC-48 cell

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: About to change to salt, current water conditions

You can go ahead and add the salt. The pump needs to run 24 hours before starting the Swcg.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit