Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pressure loss and fluctuation

1. Back To Top    #1

Pressure loss and fluctuation

Hello all, have an issue with my pool pump that just started this afternoon and I cannot figure out for the life of me. The pump was running just fine this afternoon when I noticed that the water stoppped flowing and the pump was making a noise as if it was trying to prime. I went to check on it and thats exactly what was happening- the pump was trying to prime. It would start running again, maybe to 90% or so capacity for a matter of 5 or 10 seconds, then the pressure would drop to zero and the process starts all over again. it kicks out a lot of air bubbles as it starts to run again, not sure where that is getting in to the system. Any thoughts on what to check here? Appreciate any help!
    18k gallon, plaster, Hayward DE6020 filter, 2.0 HP Hayward pump, H Series Hayward heater, inline chlorinator (that I no longer use as I have switched to BBB)

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Pressure loss and fluctuation

How high is your water level in your skimmer? That is probably the first thing I would check

3. Back To Top    #3

unfortunately the water level isn't the issue, as it is high enough and there is plenty of water in the skimmers. After tinkering around with it last night it now runs at approx 80%, keeps the pressure up with a little fluctuation, but still clearly has air in the line that is preventing the full prime as it still kicks out some air bubbles. Not sure what I did to improve it or what i can do from here other than call a company to come take a look at it. This one is beyond my abilities.
    18k gallon, plaster, Hayward DE6020 filter, 2.0 HP Hayward pump, H Series Hayward heater, inline chlorinator (that I no longer use as I have switched to BBB)

4. Back To Top    #4

Round up the usual suspects!

Sticking weir (skimmer flapper)
    Strainer basket lid - no cracks, no dirt, and well-lubricated with pool lube.
    Loose drain plugs on the pump and strainer.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks Richard, I did some more checking there but still no luck. I'll keep trying today but scheduled a repairman to come by tomorrow AM to take a look. Would try for a bit longer but have a party planned for my brothers 40th bday this coming Saturday so want to fix ASAP. Funny how any pool issues always coincide with having folks over to swim!