Hayward h250 replacing hi limit switches

Jun 6, 2012
Hello,

I have a Hayward H250 and had a service tech tell me I need a new thermostat and hi limit switches.

I can order the switches and thermostat and do it myself (I replaced the pilot assembly and pressure switch myself last year), the issue is that the hi limit switches come in a pack of 3, and I only see 2 to be replaced on the heater. Where can I find the other switch that needs replaced?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Re: Hayward H250 heater, replacing temperature limiter

Hello, I have been advised I need to change the same switches. I see only 2 of them, and I am not sure off the wiring when I replace them. Is there a site anyone knows of with wiring pictures, as I find the wiring diagrams hard to follow

I have now located all 3 limit switches, 2 of which are automatic, and 1 manual. Now the trouble is the wiring diagram only lists 1 automatic and 1 manual limit switch in the wiring series, so I am not sure where in the series to put the 2nd automatic switch. Any one know the solution??

Depending on your model of heater you may only have two of the three in the package. Replace them according to what your unit currently has. Some units have one in the bonnet, others have two.

The High Limit is located on the header on the back. If you are looking to replace that. It's a completely different part from the limiter switches.

Hi, I too have a hayward h250 which gives me nothing but grief every year.
Mine has 3 switches, 2 side by side which are behind my gas pipe, and there is another switch
on the very bottom between the 4th and 5th burner.

How cheap have you found the set of 3 switches for?
I think I might be needing a pack myself

I have found the switches for $50.

I have those 3 as well. I am going to order them and replace all 3. My issue is doing the wiring. The wiring diagram only shows the wiring for 2 limit switches, doesn't show how the 3rd should be wired.

Any gas fitters out there with an answer to that issue??

How should the 3 switches (I have 3 in my model) be wired? The wiring diagram only shows 2 in series (first the automatic then the manual) but I have a 3rd switch which is manual.

Haezeus said:
I have found the switches for $50.

I have those 3 as well. I am going to order them and replace all 3. My issue is doing the wiring. The wiring diagram only shows the wiring for 2 limit switches, doesn't show how the 3rd should be wired.

Any gas fitters out there with an answer to that issue??

All you are doing is just pulling the two wires off the old and putting them on the new. You're not adding anything new that isn't already there. So find the first one, pull the two wires, plug them onto the new limit and put the new limit into place. Simple as that. No wiring diagram needed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.