Will heavy rain impede my progress in removing algae

charsand

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 4, 2009
Flower Mound/Texas
I finally got to almost see the bottom of my pool again and then we have had torrential rain for the last 3 hrs or so....will this put me back a few days....I haven't been able to go out and check, too much thunder and lightning....

Charlie

Just check the chlorine when you can and re-dose back to shock level. It likely won't make much of a dent in your time frame if you're maintaining shock level regularly. Rain can contain some organics which might affect chlorine but it's more likely that any change would come from dilution actually.

Enjoy!

Are you currently shocking the pool? Rain will dilute the current FC (due to splash out). But I would imagine that some of the organic matter (algae) would splash out also. I am guessing ChemGeek or another member will have a certain answer for you!

It doesn't make much difference. Thunderstorms and wind have a larger effect as they tend to bring in blown in debris. Ordinary rain is mostly annoying because you get wet going out to work on the pool.

I just tested again this morning and the rain didn't seem to make much of a difference.

Here are my test numbers from 0030 hrs this morning and again at 0730 this morning:

0030 hrs FC = 11 CC = 0.5
0730 hrs FC = 10 CC = 0.5

The only problem is that I still can't see the bottom of the pool. It's still raining sporadically, so I won't be able to clean and change the filters until possibly tomorrow (they have been in for 2 days). I will keep the FC value from 20 to 24 at least for another day.

If anyone has any suggestions, let me know.

Thanks
Charlie

charsand said:
I will keep the FC value from 20 to 24 at least for another day.
You should hold shock value until you pass ALL of the criteria (which includes clear water, passing OCLT, and CC below 0.5ppm). If you can't see the bottom of the pool, you need to continue to shock until you can. It might seem expensive/be a pain to keep buying bleach, but you will be saving yourself time and money in the long run!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.