Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Will heavy rain impede my progress in removing algae

1. Back To Top    #1

Will heavy rain impede my progress in removing algae

I finally got to almost see the bottom of my pool again and then we have had torrential rain for the last 3 hrs or so....will this put me back a few days....I haven't been able to go out and check, too much thunder and lightning....

Charlie
    Charlie

18,000 gal SWG, pebble tech, Jandy filter, Jandy Aquapure
    Flower Mound, Texas

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Will heavy rain impede my progress in removing algae

Just check the chlorine when you can and re-dose back to shock level. It likely won't make much of a dent in your time frame if you're maintaining shock level regularly. Rain can contain some organics which might affect chlorine but it's more likely that any change would come from dilution actually.

Enjoy!
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Are you currently shocking the pool? Rain will dilute the current FC (due to splash out). But I would imagine that some of the organic matter (algae) would splash out also. I am guessing ChemGeek or another member will have a certain answer for you!

4. Back To Top    #4

It doesn't make much difference. Thunderstorms and wind have a larger effect as they tend to bring in blown in debris. Ordinary rain is mostly annoying because you get wet going out to work on the pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I just tested again this morning and the rain didn't seem to make much of a difference.

Here are my test numbers from 0030 hrs this morning and again at 0730 this morning:

0030 hrs FC = 11 CC = 0.5
    0730 hrs FC = 10 CC = 0.5

The only problem is that I still can't see the bottom of the pool. It's still raining sporadically, so I won't be able to clean and change the filters until possibly tomorrow (they have been in for 2 days). I will keep the FC value from 20 to 24 at least for another day.

If anyone has any suggestions, let me know.

Thanks
    Charlie
    Charlie

18,000 gal SWG, pebble tech, Jandy filter, Jandy Aquapure
    Flower Mound, Texas

6. Back To Top    #6

What is your CYA and what is your shock value? My suggestion is to maintain the shock level and no lower. If your shock value is 24 and you are letting it get to 10 overnight, you're allowing algae to regain a foothold and you're actually prolonging the process.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by charsand
    I will keep the FC value from 20 to 24 at least for another day.
    You should hold shock value until you pass ALL of the criteria (which includes clear water, passing OCLT, and CC below 0.5ppm). If you can't see the bottom of the pool, you need to continue to shock until you can. It might seem expensive/be a pain to keep buying bleach, but you will be saving yourself time and money in the long run!