Low pH with High Alkalinity and Few Options

csever82:

Lookin' Good! Great Job :goodjob: It is very satisfying to see someone take a pool in need of help and make such a dramatic improvement in a matter of days. Hat's off to your perseverance in persuading your property manager. Both of you will reap the benefits.

Thanks for putting your trust in the folks on this board and the BBB method. :cheers:

Ugh.

So I went on vacation for 11 days, and I came back to a slightly green pool with drains that are barely visible. There's also some brown stuff on the bottom that I believe is algae because it's in the deep end, which is in the shade some of the day, whereas the shallow end gets sun all day long. At first I figured the other guy just hadn't been keeping up with it. And then I tested the water and learned that was only half the problem.

FC: 2.5
CC: 1.5
TC: 4.0
pH: 6.8
CYA: 180
TA: 210

Keep in mind that I had gotten the CYA down to about 80, which is still higher than recommended, but at least within legal limits. So I started to wonder how the heck this happened. It didn't take long. I opened up the mechanical room, and gleaming right in front of me were several huge buckets of dichlor and trichlor. :hammer:

I opened the feeder tube and sure enough, it was full to the top with trichlor tablets with the valve set to 4, and the pool log indicated that he "shocked" (in his definition) the pool right after I left for vacation for some unknown reason. He added a total of 12 pounds of dichlor in two days, and then for the other nine days, he added nothing. And apparently did nothing else.

And I should clarify that there was still plenty of plain old bleach in the cabinet, so it's not like he ran out of it or anything. He just refuses to get on board with me.

This is extremely frustrating. On the bright side, I now know where to start based on my previous experience. :-D

I closed the pool down today because it's just not safe to swim in it. I am not adding anything at this point because it's obvious that I'm going to need to drain and refill about 75% of the water once again just to take care of the CYA level. Since the pool will be closed today, I will be able to get a head start on the drain/refill at about 6 p.m. (rather than 9, when the pool closes usually). Of course, then I will need to shock the pool and clean it, etc., etc. Luckily our city guidelines allow swimming in up to 10ppm FC (they figure since people eat off dishes in restaurants that are typically sanitized in 100ppm, it's safe to swim in 10% of that). So, I don't have to let FC fall too far before I reopen it, so long as the other requirements are all met.

And for those who wondered when this post was active before, yes, the pool I run is considered a public pool.

I'll post more results and take a couple pics before I begin the D&R process tonight.

:super: Here I come to save the day (again)...

Are you sure he didn't slip a cya mickey in in addition to the pucks. To raise cya by 100 ppm, would have required ~80 3" pucks. 12 lbs would have only raised cya by 25 ppm. How are you measuring cya? The disappearing spot method (the one promoted on here) for measuring cya, can only measure up to 100 ppm.

I do use the disappearing dot. I'm diluting the water used in the sample, which I know isn't exactly accurate, but 180 is what I get. It's over 100 for sure, so that needs to be fixed. Also, with the rate he had our tablet feeder set at, it's quite possible he went through 80 pucks in 11 days.

Holy cow!
You have a much lower anger threshold than me since I'd be livid.
A couple of questions ...
A) Who exactly is in charge here? It sounds like competing "owners". If it's your "charge" then you tell "the other guy" what to do in your absense.
B) Did you leave explicit instructions of what should be done, when and how? If not, you're partially to blame.

csever82 said:
it's quite possible he went through 80 pucks in 11 days.
If that is true, it is likely your ph is much lower than 6.8 then, the test reads anything below 6.8 as 6.8. I would start getting ph up with borax asap!

And I am very surprised your FC is a low as it is.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.