Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Questions about weekly pool service

1. Back To Top    #1

Questions about weekly pool service

How does a weekly pool service maintain chlorine levels for the entire week? I have a pool guy servicing my rental and he shows up once a week. I'm doing my own pool and I'm adding chlorine every day. I believe my pool guy is just adding liquid chlorine since I don't see any tabs or floating dispensers. My rental pool water seems to look fine. I'm just curious what happens when it starts getting warmer and the rental pool is used daily.
    18 ft round (Intex style) Summer Escape pool
    1hp Hayward pump and sand filter (size escapes me)
    Intex SWG
    Planning an upgrade to a 24ft as soon as we wear this one out!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Questions about weekly pool service

Not sure, but my guess if they are using LC, they are bringing it up quite high...and they also probably have a higher cya level to reduce the loss to sun over that many days. They may also be using an algaecide to attempt to prevent algae when the FC level gets too low.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

There are three ways to do it. By far the most common is for there to be a tablet dispenser or SWG. The second option is to use exceptionally high CYA levels, which require special equipment, but allow chlorine to last a week. The third approach is to assume the owner is manually adding chlorine while the pool service is away.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

He is probably using powdered shock product and raising the chlorine really high and letting it drop down over the week. Get a full set of test results on the water from the rental and we can take an educated guess at what he has been putting in the pool.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by zea3
    He is probably using powdered shock product and raising the chlorine really high and letting it drop down over the week. Get a full set of test results on the water from the rental and we can take an educated guess at what he has been putting in the pool.
    This was what the (no longer) service was doing to my pool last year. Before i got the real test kit, i would notice after their friday treatment a higher level than i could test. By the hottest time of the summer I would notice very low by mid week.

Needless to say its now under my watch.
    23k Vinyl, Sand Filter tr60, 1hp Whisperflo pump,Coverstar autocover
    Polaris 280,K2006 kit,direct sunlight

6. Back To Top    #6

good to know. I'll have to get a water sample the next time I'm there.
    18 ft round (Intex style) Summer Escape pool
    1hp Hayward pump and sand filter (size escapes me)
    Intex SWG
    Planning an upgrade to a 24ft as soon as we wear this one out!