Pool Replaster (or Pebble Tec) in SoCal/OC - questions

Stomp

May 13, 2009
Orange County, CA
For a while I've been wanting to replaster our pool and replace the tile. The pool is roughly a kidney bean shape measuring about 20x40. Approx. 3 feet in the shallow end and 8 feet in the deep end. I'm estimating about 1000 sq. feet of surface area.

I had a guy out the other day who quoted $25/sq. foot (surface area) for replastering and $40/sq. foot for pebble tec (didn't specify what pebble tec). $20k to replaster seems steep to me. This does not include the tile and/or changing coping. Would appreciate any feedback, and open to recommendations of good experiences people have had with local firms (if that's allowed here).

Thanks!

In San Jose our PB quoted $5,500 for 3M Colorscape replaster. Our pool is 9' in the deep end and 3.5' in the shallow, 38x16 rectangle with an attached SPA. Quoted tile @ $2610 and coping @ $3845 for 124 lin ft. I'm originally from SoCal and things are usually less expensive down there.

We are paying $35k for replaster w/Colorscape, 2" travertine coping, tile, total replumb, pad, 1,200 sqft travertine paver deck and patio, lights, new autofill, new skimmer and tear out and removal of all the existing materials.

We checked out almost every PB in the area and before we choose we visited 3 homes to see pools and talk to the owners with replasters of the color we were interested in. What sold us on this PB were the references he had close to us. They were picky and the job was done to their liking.

IMHO you should get another bid...

Another data point. Our pool is roughly the same size as yours and 2 years ago paid just over $10k for Pebblesheen and new tile line.

You quote seems very high, definitely get another quote.

Also, realize that few companies are licensed to install the Pebbletec products (1 in Tucson I think) You have to find out who and hire them directly, otherwise you will be paying a markup to the other company who subcontracts to them.

We just had our 96 foot perimeter pool redone in Mini Pebble. The PebbleTec version would be called Pebble Fina. We kept our original tile. We also had them add a SWCG (Pentair Intellichlor 40). The job ended up costing $7000.

PoolStartup2.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.