Delux Intex Surface Skimmer / Wall-Mounted

Hub

May 26, 2012
DFW, TX
I added one of these things to my pool and it works very well.

31bjqyQAOcL._SS400_.jpg

I run it most of the time to keep anything from sinking to the bottom. My problem is how much junk is making it down to the cartridge filter. Ants, leaf parts, etc. Just generally stuff that wouldn't make it to this filter if I hadn't added the skimmer. Wish it had a finer grate in the skimmer basket to catch smaller particles. You see any problem with adding pantyhose to the bottom of the basket to prevent this? Or maybe even something better that I haven't thought of yet?

Also, am I missing an obvious way to change my filter? With this skimmer hooked up, I'm assuming I unscrew hose at the wall, put in the plug, and then remove filter? I suppose lifting the pump above water level or adding a valve somewhere would also be options.

Hub said:
You see any problem with adding pantyhose to the bottom of the basket to prevent this?
No, that should work, though it may plug up pretty fast.

Hub said:
Also, am I missing an obvious way to change my filter? With this skimmer hooked up, I'm assuming I unscrew hose at the wall, put in the plug, and then remove filter? I suppose lifting the pump above water level or adding a valve somewhere would also be options.
Not that I know of unless you add a valve on the outside. Lifting the pump might be quickest.

Why would you undo the hoses to change the filter? I assume this is an intex style cartridge filter, correct? This filter you'll want to unscrew the top off of and lift the cartridge out. Absolutely lift it above the waterline so it doesn't drench you. But don't unhook it at all. The skimmer you have should not be taken off the inside port either, it's unnecessary.

You can put a nylon or stocking in the skimmer basket to catch more stuff but it really only works for some finer particles. Big stuff can get by the edge of the basket just fine, especially with a sock in the basket. Personally I stopped bothering with skimmer socks, they don't seem to catch much of anything with this type of skimmer. I've never had a skimmer sock plug up the basket before the strainer below the basket plugs with leaves, bees and other crud actually because they get past the sides. The big particles in the filter really aren't an issue. Just lower the filter with the cartridge out and flush the lines of chunks before you put the cartridge back in.

Additionally, you can reuse the cartridges. You don't need to replace them with new. Just use a garden hose sprayer and blast at the pleats to clean. You can soak them in a bucket of water with dishwasher detergent (not dishwashing liquid such as Dawn, the granulated stuff such as Cascade) overnight for more cleaning power. We rotate 4 filters in and out of the "soup" after blasting with the hose. I have a couple filters that are over two years old actually.

To clean the skimmer housing itself, unhook the tubing from the bottom of the housing and you can leave the filter on as long as someone holds the hose under water. There should be no need to ever remove the hoses from the pool wall for regular maintenance on these pools.

So I guess what you're saying is that trying to rig a filter in front of the filter is rather pointless since rinsing and swapping out a proper filter shouldn't be a big deal anyway.

Tell me more about your filter soup. You got quite a bit of Cascade in there? Any bleach? How often do you swap your filter out? I would assume at least once a week.

Thanks for the help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.