Just opened my pool...yikes, it looks awful!

Jun 6, 2012
Ohio
I have a 24 foot above ground pool with a Hayward pump. The leaf cover fell in :cry: and my pool was full or nasty rotten leaves. I used a leaf rake and got most (as much as could be seen) off the bottom and then started shocking my pool. I have had the pool for 4 years and I have never had a problem until now so I am at a loss as to what to do. I have read alot of the pool school but I am still not getting the results I want. The water is now a cloudy blue/light green and I can see little white particles floating that look like dandruff (dead algae?). I put 10 gallons of bleach in last weekend and my FC is still at zero. I have used ph.minus and clarifier too. I just picked up 3 lbs of hth super sock 'n swim and I have 4 gallons of bleach I haven't added yet. Just tested and here are my latest result-FC 0, pH 6.4, TA 80, TH 200, and Cyan 0. Can someone give me some steps of how to clear this up. It has been really hot in Ohio and I would love to get in that pool! Lol...
Thanks so much!
Stef

Welcome to TFP!

Without any CYA in the water you will lose all of your chlorine to sunlight each day. It is extremely difficult to kill algae when that is happening. You should raise the CYA level to around 30 right away, and then adjust it further after the algae/debris is all cleaned up.

Also, your PH is way too low. You should bring the PH up to at least 7.0 right away. PH below 7.0 can damage the pool.

[shock:32hr9vd2]Once you have taken care of those issues, it is time to shock the pool.[/shock:32hr9vd2]

Walmart sells HTH brand CYA titled "Stabilizer". It dissolves quickly, especially if you help it along with squishing a sock that is hung off the ladder or in front of a return frequently. Use a tube sock, or any sock or nylon/stocking. It won't ruin it and can be worn on a foot afterwards. Determine the amount of CYA to use to bring your pool up to ~30-40ppm (use pool calculator), measure it out and put into the sock. Rubber band the top, hang somewhere in the pool and drop by every now and then to squish/disperse the CYA into the water. When it's dissolved, you're done and can assume the intended level is what is in the pool (don't bother testing CYA for a week or so, just assume. If you put it in and calculated properly, it's in there).

Whatever brand you choose, just check the ingredients. It should say "cyanuric acid". If it doesn't it isn't CYA/Stabilizer.

Ok I stopped at Walmart and the only stabalizer they had was in a pool opening kit, so I got 2 of them. It has 2 containers, each with 15 oz. of stabilizer/conditioner. How much do I need to use? Also if I cannot test the cyanuric acid for a week or so, I also need to raise my pH and shock. Can I go ahead and raise the pH and what is the best way as to not affect the other values and when can I shock, lol. I am clueless =)

I just put in the 30 oz of stabilizer/conditioner that I have with the sock. The pool calculator says I need about 75 oz but I went ahead and added what I had so it could start dissolving. How long until I can start adding bleach? I backwashed before I added the stabilizer/conditioner and the water was low so I started adding some more. Where the water was low I could see like a scaly line around where the water line was and when I tied the sock to the ladder I could feel it on the ladder too. Do I need to do something else to get rid of this or will the chemicals and adjustments I'm making take care of it?

How many gallons is your pool?

Adjust your pH now to at least 7.2. No more ph minus!

Get some more CYA as well. You may be up to 15ish. I believe you'll want 30 to start shocking.

As soon as your pH is above 7.2 and you have the other CYA added, you will want to begin adding the bleach. This will be an hourly process, so buy lots of it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
From Pool School in the Recommended Pool Chemicals Link.

"Borax is available as 20 Mule Team® Borax Natural Laundry Booster. It is sold in the laundry detergent section of most larger grocery stores and some big box stores. Borax is best added by pre-dissolving it in a bucket of water and then pouring that slowly in front of a return."

I've noticed something in a few threads... when you say you had 0 CYA, where did that result come from..?

I wouldn't trust any test results that didn't come from a TF-100 or Taylor K2006. If 0 CYA is inaccurate and there is already some there, adding more will put your level higher than you think.

One of those kits from Wally world has a cya test in it. I've found it just as accurate as the tf kits.

The stuff you want from Walmart, if I'm not too late, looks like this. The coke can is for a size comparison.

I've got nothing to add, listen to these people and you'll have an awesome pool! They're really water wizards!

Oh, and yay Ohio!

4a058201-6f7a-17fa.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Thanks for the extra advice everyone! Ok my levels now are FC 5/10, pH 7.8, TA 120, TH 200, CYA 30-50. I've kept the FC up all weekend and my levels are still good but my pool is still like a cloudy blue. What is the next step to clear that up? I have been on that pool all weekend checking and rechecking,lol. It was sooooooooooo hot today and I wanted to get in there so bad =(
Yay O~HI~O! ;)

Without a good test kit you're just guessing. The reason I say that is that those look like test strip numbers.

All you can do is try and keep your FC up and keep the filter running until it clears.

You really should order a good test kit if you don't already have one.

What kind of a filter do you have? (pretty sure I did not see it mentioned). While I appreciate your signature, it would be more helpful to add your pool information there as well.

Sand filters can be a little slower clearing the water. Make sure you are backwashing when the pressure goes up 20-25% of the clean filter pressure.

And I have to agree you will be much better off ordering one of the recommended test kits ... best investment you can make.

Well I put in a 1/2 bottle of clarifier tonight and I just went out and tested the water. My levels are FC 1-2/pH 7.5/TA 120/TH 200/CYA 30-50. Still looks cloudy blue. I have been running the filter 24/7. How can I clear this thing up by this weekend? My kids are about to kill me wanting to get this thing done! Help!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.