Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just opened my pool...yikes, it looks awful!

1. Back To Top    #1

Just opened my pool...yikes, it looks awful!

I have a 24 foot above ground pool with a Hayward pump. The leaf cover fell in and my pool was full or nasty rotten leaves. I used a leaf rake and got most (as much as could be seen) off the bottom and then started shocking my pool. I have had the pool for 4 years and I have never had a problem until now so I am at a loss as to what to do. I have read alot of the pool school but I am still not getting the results I want. The water is now a cloudy blue/light green and I can see little white particles floating that look like dandruff (dead algae?). I put 10 gallons of bleach in last weekend and my FC is still at zero. I have used ph.minus and clarifier too. I just picked up 3 lbs of hth super sock 'n swim and I have 4 gallons of bleach I haven't added yet. Just tested and here are my latest result-FC 0, pH 6.4, TA 80, TH 200, and Cyan 0. Can someone give me some steps of how to clear this up. It has been really hot in Ohio and I would love to get in that pool! Lol...
    Thanks so much!
    Stef
    24' Outback Above Ground
    13,500 gallon
    Hayward Sand Filter

Nearly everything you do is of no importance, but it is important that you do it~Mahatma Gandhi

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Just opened my pool...yikes, it looks awful!

Welcome to TFP!

Without any CYA in the water you will lose all of your chlorine to sunlight each day. It is extremely difficult to kill algae when that is happening. You should raise the CYA level to around 30 right away, and then adjust it further after the algae/debris is all cleaned up.

Also, your PH is way too low. You should bring the PH up to at least 7.0 right away. PH below 7.0 can damage the pool.

[shock:32hr9vd2]Once you have taken care of those issues, it is time to shock the pool.[/shock:32hr9vd2]
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

What do I use to add cyanuric acid? Does it just say cyanuric acid?
    Thanks so much for the welcome and you all know your stuff
    Stef
    24' Outback Above Ground
    13,500 gallon
    Hayward Sand Filter

Nearly everything you do is of no importance, but it is important that you do it~Mahatma Gandhi

4. Back To Top    #4

It will most likely say stabilizer but the ingredients will be almost 100% cyanuric acid.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Walmart sells HTH brand CYA titled "Stabilizer". It dissolves quickly, especially if you help it along with squishing a sock that is hung off the ladder or in front of a return frequently. Use a tube sock, or any sock or nylon/stocking. It won't ruin it and can be worn on a foot afterwards. Determine the amount of CYA to use to bring your pool up to ~30-40ppm (use pool calculator), measure it out and put into the sock. Rubber band the top, hang somewhere in the pool and drop by every now and then to squish/disperse the CYA into the water. When it's dissolved, you're done and can assume the intended level is what is in the pool (don't bother testing CYA for a week or so, just assume. If you put it in and calculated properly, it's in there).

Whatever brand you choose, just check the ingredients. It should say "cyanuric acid". If it doesn't it isn't CYA/Stabilizer.
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks so much for the quick responses! I will stop and get some tomorrow
    Stef
    24' Outback Above Ground
    13,500 gallon
    Hayward Sand Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok I stopped at Walmart and the only stabalizer they had was in a pool opening kit, so I got 2 of them. It has 2 containers, each with 15 oz. of stabilizer/conditioner. How much do I need to use? Also if I cannot test the cyanuric acid for a week or so, I also need to raise my pH and shock. Can I go ahead and raise the pH and what is the best way as to not affect the other values and when can I shock, lol. I am clueless =)
    24' Outback Above Ground
    13,500 gallon
    Hayward Sand Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

I just put in the 30 oz of stabilizer/conditioner that I have with the sock. The pool calculator says I need about 75 oz but I went ahead and added what I had so it could start dissolving. How long until I can start adding bleach? I backwashed before I added the stabilizer/conditioner and the water was low so I started adding some more. Where the water was low I could see like a scaly line around where the water line was and when I tied the sock to the ladder I could feel it on the ladder too. Do I need to do something else to get rid of this or will the chemicals and adjustments I'm making take care of it?
    24' Outback Above Ground
    13,500 gallon
    Hayward Sand Filter

9. Back To Top    #9

How many gallons is your pool?

Adjust your pH now to at least 7.2. No more ph minus!

Get some more CYA as well. You may be up to 15ish. I believe you'll want 30 to start shocking.

As soon as your pH is above 7.2 and you have the other CYA added, you will want to begin adding the bleach. This will be an hourly process, so buy lots of it.
    ~~ Allison ~~
    Intex 18' x 48" Easy Set Pool, approximately 5455 gallons
    Krystal Clear 1500 GPH Filter Pump Model 56635EG - 635 with Auto Timer
    BBB FOR BEGINNERS ~ THIS IS A MUST READ FOR ANYONE OVERWHELMED!!

10. Back To Top    #10

I'm gonna stop and get more of the stabalizer on my way home from work today. So do I add the borax like the stabalizer in a sock or just sprinkle it in? Will the ph raise pretty quickly?
    24' Outback Above Ground
    13,500 gallon
    Hayward Sand Filter

11. Back To Top    #11

From Pool School in the Recommended Pool Chemicals Link.

"Borax is available as 20 Mule Team® Borax Natural Laundry Booster. It is sold in the laundry detergent section of most larger grocery stores and some big box stores. Borax is best added by pre-dissolving it in a bucket of water and then pouring that slowly in front of a return."
    ~~ Allison ~~
    Intex 18' x 48" Easy Set Pool, approximately 5455 gallons
    Krystal Clear 1500 GPH Filter Pump Model 56635EG - 635 with Auto Timer
    BBB FOR BEGINNERS ~ THIS IS A MUST READ FOR ANYONE OVERWHELMED!!

12. Back To Top    #12

Thank you!
    24' Outback Above Ground
    13,500 gallon
    Hayward Sand Filter

13. Back To Top    #13

I've noticed something in a few threads... when you say you had 0 CYA, where did that result come from..?

I wouldn't trust any test results that didn't come from a TF-100 or Taylor K2006. If 0 CYA is inaccurate and there is already some there, adding more will put your level higher than you think.
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]