White Water Mold

May 31, 2012
We've been having a lot of trouble with our Jandy 1400 SWG this year. We opened the pool early and a week later, we got error 121, so after going through a bunch of stuff we replaced the cell. Then we have been dealing with errors 123 and 188 for a couple of weeks. Looks like we might have it fixed with a replacement DC cord, but I'm not holding my breath.

In the meantime, our water balance has gotten out of control. CYA had been low (according to pool store) and we just couldn't seem to get it up. Even after dissolving it in various manners and adding and adding. Then all of the sudden, this white, tissue-like, slimy gunk appeared. It looks to be White Water Mold. We decided to open up the filter to see if the CYA was getting caught up in there or something. When we did, we found that it was completely clogged with pink slime.

We replaced the sand on Saturday and have been shocking the pool every day. We added some more CYA, as the test strips we were using were showing it below 30 still. It finally took. We've been shocking and brushing the pool every day.

I got my new test kit in the mail today and just ran all of the tests. I guess my question is, now that we don't see the mold anymore, we still think it could be in pipes, etc. What to we do to make sure it doesn't come back? That we completely eliminate it?

FC - 8.5
CC -11.5
pH - 7.2
TA - 90
CH - 390
CYA - 80

How are you adding your CYA? This should NOT be added through the skimmer, but rather in front of a return jet (typically in a sock). Also, keep in mind that CYA can take up to one week before it shows up on a test. Do you know how much CYA you added total?

And yes, as Bama said, that CC is very high. Keep shocking.

I had white water mold last year - and you described it exactly as I did: White tissue-like slimy floaties. I wasn't tesing or doing BBB last year - but I can tell you it cost me well over $100 when said an done with PS chemicals (Powerfloc, and other adjustments). I dont think you will spean nearly that much in bleach (at my costco that would be over 30 large bottles of bleach)

This year Im so thankful that I have a good test kit, and have started with BBB. Now I will be able to understand what is happening in my water - rather than watching my money go down the main drain (pool pun intended) when problems like this occur.

Good luck - and keep shocking!

Well, to update y'all - we're still shocking. We've been scrubbing and scrubbing and this stuff is still hanging on. How is it continuing to grown with so much chlorine present? We've gotten the CC down from 3.5 to 1 since the beginning of the process, so at least there is progress.

However, when I run my hand around the side, I can feel re-growth of the mold each day. Granted, it is not as bad as it was, but we are scrubbing and shocking every day. Is this typical?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.