Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help with cloudy water

1. Back To Top    #1

Help with cloudy water

Hello,
    Opened my pool Memorial Day weekend as usual. Have owned the pool for past 3 years and in the past I usually add 4lbs of stabilizer, some chlorine and 3 - 4 days later I can see the bottom. Not so this year. I'm a week in and still cloudy. I added the stabilizer on Day 1 and trying to keep chlorine at shock level. Right now the pool is a cloudy blue. When it was opened it was blackish which is normal for when I open with a loop loc cover. What am I missing?
    Here's my #'s with a test strip right now:
    TH: 100
    TC: can't tell exactly but somewheres between 3 and 10
    FC: 3
    pH: 6.8
    TA: 40
    Stabilizer: in the 0 - 40 range (I added 4lbs so believe I'm good there)

I went to a local pool store yesterday and they sold me shock (non-chlorine). That hasn't seemed to change anything. My test is from today after adding 2 gallons last night.
    3rd yr pool owner, 16x36 oval IG,Sand Filter, Vinyl liner, 3/4 HP hayward pump,loop loc cover

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help with cloudy water

I would say you need to get TA up to about 90-100..Also, your PH is low.Need's to be around 7.5..I would use some baking soda to get the TA up..Your PH will rise a little when you do that.You really need to invest in a good test kit.TF-100 is the best buy.Don't trust the stick's .You really need to go through pool school.You will see a big difference on control of your pool..Other's will be by..
    Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Hayworth S-180 T sand filter/Power-Flo Matrix 1horse 2 speed pump /Aqua Trol SWG/Using TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

First do as KP says. Get the TA and pH up and then order a good test kit.

Go out and buy plenty of bleach and come back once you have the kit and post the numbers and then start the shock process.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for tips. How do I add the baking soda? Directly into pool, at return, into skimmer?
    3rd yr pool owner, 16x36 oval IG,Sand Filter, Vinyl liner, 3/4 HP hayward pump,loop loc cover

5. Back To Top    #5

Just spread out into pool.I just make my add's at the return.That way it get's it out in the water.All that info is in the pool section.Really need to educate yourself with all that.Will answer alot of your ?.
    Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Hayworth S-180 T sand filter/Power-Flo Matrix 1horse 2 speed pump /Aqua Trol SWG/Using TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

I added the baking soda and another 2.5 gal of chlorine last night. Here are my numbers today:

TC: above 3
    FC: 10
    ph: 7.8
    TA; 120

No difference to the look of the water. We had a warmer than usual winter like most parts. I've been vac'ing it and getting out the algae, leaves, etc as I can without seeing the bottom. Should I be vac'ing to waste? I haven't done that past few days. Other thoughts?

7. Back To Top    #7

Can you check your FC result? FC of 10 with TC of 3 is impossible.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Poolbuoy
    I added the baking soda and another 2.5 gal of chlorine last night. Here are my numbers today:

TC: above 3
    FC: 10
    ph: 7.8
    TA; 120

No difference to the look of the water. We had a warmer than usual winter like most parts. I've been vac'ing it and getting out the algae, leaves, etc as I can without seeing the bottom. Should I be vac'ing to waste? I haven't done that past few days. Other thoughts?
    Hope you order'd the TF-100 kit..Those test strip's are blowing in the wind.I also ? the TC&FC.Doesn't add up..Also wonder what your CYA is really.Till you know your correct #'s it's like fighting a lose battle..

9. Back To Top    #9

Lol, good point! I had a kit but out of solution. I'll try and find 1 locally for now.

10. Back To Top    #10

What I have left in my test kit I was able to get the following:
    FC: 5
    ph: 7.2
    TA: 110

Only option I couldn't test was CYA.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Poolbuoy
    What I have left in my test kit I was able to get the following:
    FC: 5
    ph: 7.2
    TA: 110

Only option I couldn't test was CYA.
    that doesnt help any..
    you need to get a full set of number's.You can't figure anything till you do that.CYA is very inportant so them you will know your shock level's it will take to kill everything off.