Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. If you have problems logging in to the new system, you should try resetting your password. Click HERE to do that. Pool School

Thread: Timers/Wiring for New Hayward Tristar 2-Speed Pump???

Timers/Wiring for New Hayward Tristar 2-Speed Pump???

We are considering a Tristar 2-speed pump instead of the single speed. Hayward seems to be stating that you can no longer use Intermatic time clocks to control this pump - you have to upgrade to the very costly electronic timer/control that Hayward makes.

I was thinking you could control the On/Off with an Intermatic T104 and the Hi/Lo with a T106 or get Intermatic's T10604 that integrates the two.

Thoughts on the best approach in terms of cost and functionality?

Re: Timers/Wiring for New Hayward Tristar 2-Speed Pump???

Is that statement in the manual?

I looked through it and don't see anything about not using a mechanical timer.

I'd go with the T10604 unit to operate it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.

The fancier controls are recommended for their variable speed pumps, one of which shares the TriStar name, but are not required for a two speed pump.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

BamaRambler - that is what the Hayward folks say when called. I suspect they're just trying to sell their brand as opposed to Intermatic. Thanks for the validation on the T10604 - I thought that seemed like a good option too.

JasonLion - thanks for the info