Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Timers/Wiring for New Hayward Tristar 2-Speed Pump???

Timers/Wiring for New Hayward Tristar 2-Speed Pump???

We are considering a Tristar 2-speed pump instead of the single speed. Hayward seems to be stating that you can no longer use Intermatic time clocks to control this pump - you have to upgrade to the very costly electronic timer/control that Hayward makes.

I was thinking you could control the On/Off with an Intermatic T104 and the Hi/Lo with a T106 or get Intermatic's T10604 that integrates the two.

Thoughts on the best approach in terms of cost and functionality?

Re: Timers/Wiring for New Hayward Tristar 2-Speed Pump???

Is that statement in the manual?

I looked through it and don't see anything about not using a mechanical timer.

I'd go with the T10604 unit to operate it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.

The fancier controls are recommended for their variable speed pumps, one of which shares the TriStar name, but are not required for a two speed pump.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

BamaRambler - that is what the Hayward folks say when called. I suspect they're just trying to sell their brand as opposed to Intermatic. Thanks for the validation on the T10604 - I thought that seemed like a good option too.

JasonLion - thanks for the info