ph going crazy

May 9, 2007
Need some guidance?

Ph is rising .2 daily. Am doing the BBB thing. Filter runs 9 hours daily. Very low pool useage at this time of year.

FC 5
CC 0
PH 8.0
TA 100
CYA 50
CH 55
Have been adding a 182 oz jug of 6% clorox nightly. What is making the Ph climb? Have been adding MA to lower Ph.

Do you have any water aeration occurring...fountains, waterfalls, lots of splashing, a return pointed towards surface, etc?

Aeration will raise ph.

Also, your TA is at the upper end of the recommend range for bleach users (70-90+ ppm). By adding MA as you are, you also will be slowly lowering your TA and eventually it should get down into the recommended range. Then if the ph climb is being caused by the slightly high TA now, it should reduce.

arleetrip said:
Need some guidance?

Ph is rising .2 daily. Am doing the BBB thing. Filter runs 9 hours daily. Very low pool useage at this time of year.

FC 5
CC 0
PH 8.0
TA 100
CYA 50
CH 55
Have been adding a 182 oz jug of 6% clorox nightly. What is making the Ph climb? Have been adding MA to lower Ph.

Keep your pH in the lower end of the range. 7-7.2. This will eventually lower your TA and reduce the inclination for the pH to rise.

Based on the information provided, the pH rise is inexplicable as far as I can see. I am posting to emphasize that regardless of the cause, it is important that you keep your pH in the 7'S, no matter how much acid it takes.

Wish I had an idea for the pH rise.

1. The acid/aeration process to lower TA:
2. Add acid to lower your PH to between 7.0 and 7.2 (this also lowers TA)
3. Aerate until PH rises to around 7.6 (the only way to raise PH without also raising TA)

Repeat steps 1 and 2 until you reach the desired TA.

How long should I wait after adding MA to begin aeration?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.