My Green Swamp used to be a pool!!!

sevver

Mar 27, 2007
Morris, IL
Well, here is what happens when you don't properly close your pool. Every year now since starting BBB and closing correctly, I have opened to a pristine pool. This year, is going to be exciting!!

GreenPool001.jpg

GreenPool003.jpg

GreenPool002.jpg

GreenPool004.jpg

No test results yet, will let the pump run for a bit first.

sevver ...I know you will have it fixed very quick and it is early for Illinois. Have fun. What is that thing in the last picture with the glasses on at the bottom of your pool?? :-D Better use some extra CL for that creature living in there.
Keep up the pictures it helps us all.
Good Luck
Ric W.

ric said:
sevver ...I know you will have it fixed very quick and it is early for Illinois. Have fun. What is that thing in the last picture with the glasses on at the bottom of your pool?? :-D Better use some extra CL for that creature living in there.
Keep up the pictures it helps us all.
Good Luck
Ric W.

That thing would be myself, along with my one day old haircut that I gave to myself. We are getting into filling the filter now. Won't be long before I kick the pump on.

BTW, new pump this year, it was really loud last year. Also had to get a new skimmer since I left the valve closed in mine over the winter like a dumb dumb and it froze and broke.

Welcome back!! Sorry to see your lovely pool in such a state... but it can happen to the best of us!!

My daughter once took it upon herself to swim in our swamp when it was even darker than that! :shock: She was about 7.
I nearly died! She got a horrible rash that I had to take her to the doctor for!

Moral of the story: Get that poor critter outta there, and fast!!

:)

wowie - I haven't lifted the edge of my winter cover yet - but I don't think I have that - I hope. Usually its nice and clear.

Good luck and have fun.

waterbear said:
It' really not a problem, is it? We have the knowledge and bleach is easy to come by! I assume you already have the test kit? :wink:

I got the test kit, plus I got 4 cases of liquid shock on hand, I am working on filtering and getting all the leaves out right now. I never covered it over the winter. Honestly I am surprised it is still standing.

Pool is roughly 8600 gallons
CYA is less than 20, probably 10, or lower, I am adding about 2 pounds of stabilizer to the skimmer in a sock.
Chlorine, nonexistent.
Ph is around 8.5, figured I would add around 2 cups or more to get it down.

In order to get things to shock value at a 10 CYA I will need a shock level of 7, the pool calculator says to add about 1/2 gallon of 12.5% hypo.

I will just need to stay on it. Wish me luck.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
sevver said:
In order to get things to shock value at a 10 CYA I will need a shock level of 7, the pool calculator says to add about 1/2 gallon of 12.5% hypo.
Just note that the chlorine will get used up VERY quickly by that amount of algae so stay on top of it, especially early on. You may find that you could "feed" more chlorine to the pool almost every hour initially, then every few hours, eventually a couple of times a day. After just a few days, the pool could be clear (see this post for encouragement). Of course, brushing the sides, cleaning the filter, etc. are also required to remove some of the physical material from the pool and help the process go faster.

Good luck! But you really won't need it since it's a straightforward process many have gone through.

Richard

Ok, so today, after about three gallons of chlorine, I have a milky white soup. I went out there and shut the pump off, if I remember correctly I need to let the algae settle to the bottom and then vacuum it up. I will have to do this slowly so as to not disrupt it too much and cloud the water back up. After which I will backwash and filter for awhile, and tonight I will vacuum again.

Does that sound right? or should I just let the filter take care of it slowly.

I would let the filter take care of it. That might take a week but it is reliable and predictable. If you are in a huge hurry you can do a flock treatment, which has a reasonable chance of cleaning things up in a day or two but is far more work and you would need to buy some flock. Without flock not enough of the dead algae is going to settle to the bottom to be worth trying the approach you described.

That is what I will do then. I know that if it were to settle out, the act of vacuuming it would cause it to get stirred up again, unless I were to vacuum to waste, which is really not feasible on an 18' round pool, I would get around two minutes before I needed to add water again.

I am glad that it is about over.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.