Very very slight leaking on return side connections

Mar 7, 2012
I've posted before and my pool relationship has been more hate than love. After getting holes in
the sidewalls repaired, we got a new liner installed, new pump, new filter. Pentair recommends
using a thread sealant on filter connections. I used a brush on pipe dope (for plastics) for the male
insert that threads into the filter. On the return jet side, I installed a ball valve at the return jet.
I used the same process with pipe dope. This morning (after firing up the pool overnight for
the first time in 2 years), I noticed very very small drips of water on the return side--male insert
into filter and valve into return jet. The connection I have that runs from filter to return jet is the
standard hose you can get at a pool store (I wanted to make this easy and not over engineer
connections yet..being a engineer the wife is famous for complaining of me over engineering) and
hold on with clamps.

Is it better to take them out and use regular teflon tape instead? Use pink teflon tape? Silcone the
outside? I'm trying not to over think it but it seems even basic plumbing is not in my genes.

Would appreciate any help/suggestions!!

-D

Getting it right is the best idea, but everyone should haver a roll of this stuff around the house (and in the car):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ZT ... 05_s00_i00

It's called silicon rescue tape and it will seal anything! I developed a leak at one of the joints last year during the season and didn't want to take it apart during the swim season to fix it so I wrapped this around it and sealed it tight. Been a year now and it is still air tight and I've never bothered to replace the joint. They say you can wrap it around a hot, broken radiator hose or a leaking copper water pipe and it will seal right up - Awesome stuff!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.