opening pool and it's a mess

Jun 16, 2011
the cover had holes in it so the water is filthy, greenish and with a lot of little debris in it. I want to fill it, shock it and put the chemical ( clarifier?) that binds little stuff together and run the pump and vacuum and switch out filters. I know I may have to repeat the process, but is there anything else I should do? any tips? Usually our water is clear when we open but not this year.

Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis has instructions for you.

First thing you need to do is get a proper test kit. Skip the article in Pool School and just go order a TF100 with XL option, since you'll be using a lot of the test powder during the shock process. May as well get a speedstir, too, and save on shipping. You'll like it.

Then, get a leaf rake - it's like a skimmer but it has more of a bag to it, and use that to clean out as much debris as you can. In the meantime, read Pool School and some of the success stories in the forum. Like this recent thread.

Once the test kit arrives, run a full set of tests to decide if a partial drain is needed to reduce CYA buildup.

Then begin the Process.

Dumping massive quantities of bleach and/or "shock powder" without knowing the water chemistry will likely leave you frustrated and broke. And the pool will still be green. The test kit seems like a big outlay, but it will pay for itself. Do not rely on the pool store tests. Besides inaccuracy, they're really only there to sell you products.

Thanks for answering. I had the water tested CYA is 70 ph6.8 TC 0.4 FC 0.4 adjusted total ALK 0 with total ALK 10 it showed no black,green or mustard algae I bought a Taylor K-2005 test kit I want to do the BBB method this year ,I do not have that much large debris as just junk all over the bottom and thats mostly where its greenish(not green green) yucky looking color the sample I got from the top was clear I dont think its a algae problem as much as very dirty pool I have a 27ft 17.2000gal abg I'm thinking to vacuum first and then change filter(I have 2) and shock, and keep filter running and then retest and add whatever else I need just not sure of quanity, I picked up the BBB stuff and I'm ready, my husband thinks we need it professionally cleaned I think I can do it(he does not do the pool)

The 2005 kit is not the correct one. You need one that is FAS-DPD to do the shocking process, which it sounds like you probably need. You can return it (if unused) and buy the correct kit (K-2006 or TF-100) or you can buy the test that you are missing individually. http://tftestkits.net/FAS-DPD-Chlorine-CC-s-test-p47.html.

In the meantime, you need to get out as much as possible. If you can vacuum to waste, that will help and keep it out of your filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.