Tasting salt in NON SWG pool?

Jun 25, 2009
Wichita Falls, Texas
Hello everyone!

My husband and I had this problem last season. We are tasting salt in the pool water. I finally bought some salt test strips at Wal-Mart and tested the salt level, which is 2060. Is this normal? We use liquid bleach to sanitize the pool. We used to buy the Wal-Mart brand bleach, but have switched over to the Dollar General brand bleach (which shows 6% on the bottle). The taste isn't really too bothersome, I just want to make sure that it isn't going to harm anything? Is there anything we can do to remove the salt taste (even though it's not that big of a deal)? I figured the only way to remove the taste would be to drain some of the water.

Thanks for any help/recommendations!!

Emily

You can use winter rain overflow to dilute the water each season. That's what I do to try and keep the salt level in check. With chlorinating liquid and bleach, for every 10 ppm FC it increases salt by 16-1/2 ppm. So with 2 ppm FC per day, the salt level will increase by about 100 ppm per month so an increase of 600 ppm over a 6 month season. Over the years, this can build up, but rain dilution will lower it.

The level of salt you have is not a problem, but it is in the range where some people start to taste it.

Good info. I wasn't aware of the accumulation. I plan to add salt to mine for the ancillary benefits, but it's good to know that I'll be adding it via chlorine in addition to the ppm I decide to go with via bagged salt.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.