Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Tasting salt in NON SWG pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Tasting salt in NON SWG pool?

Hello everyone!

My husband and I had this problem last season. We are tasting salt in the pool water. I finally bought some salt test strips at Wal-Mart and tested the salt level, which is 2060. Is this normal? We use liquid bleach to sanitize the pool. We used to buy the Wal-Mart brand bleach, but have switched over to the Dollar General brand bleach (which shows 6% on the bottle). The taste isn't really too bothersome, I just want to make sure that it isn't going to harm anything? Is there anything we can do to remove the salt taste (even though it's not that big of a deal)? I figured the only way to remove the taste would be to drain some of the water.

Thanks for any help/recommendations!!

Emily
    In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    21,000 gallons
    Sand Filter
    1 1/2 hp pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Tasting salt in NON SWG pool?

You can use winter rain overflow to dilute the water each season. That's what I do to try and keep the salt level in check. With chlorinating liquid and bleach, for every 10 ppm FC it increases salt by 16-1/2 ppm. So with 2 ppm FC per day, the salt level will increase by about 100 ppm per month so an increase of 600 ppm over a 6 month season. Over the years, this can build up, but rain dilution will lower it.

The level of salt you have is not a problem, but it is in the range where some people start to taste it.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, salt around 2000 in a pool that has been running for several years is fairly common, and not a problem.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok thank you guys so much!
    In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    21,000 gallons
    Sand Filter
    1 1/2 hp pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Good info. I wasn't aware of the accumulation. I plan to add salt to mine for the ancillary benefits, but it's good to know that I'll be adding it via chlorine in addition to the ppm I decide to go with via bagged salt.
    1200 gallon, 10'x30" Intex AG metal frame
    Type A cartridge filter, 1000 gph pump, wall mounted skimmer.