Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Automatic chlorinator

1. Back To Top    #1

Montgomery, AL

Automatic chlorinator

I have read that automatic chlorinators can be used when people are going away on vacation, but I do not understand how to use it. I am not sure how to find out how many pucks to put in or what dumber to turn the dial to. I've looked at the manual on the internet, but it didn't help. Soooo .... how does this work?
    33,000 (20x40 3-8 ft), Hayward Sand Filter, vinyl, 1HP pump, Dolphin Deluxe 3

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Automatic chlorinator

Trial-and-error. Sorry. But there are too many variables - how big is the pool, how many hours does the pump run, and how much organic stuff lands in your pool.

You also need to be careful that you don't overdo the CYA level.

The thing to do is set it to the middle number and check it in a day. If it is going low, raise it. Or increase the filter time. Repeat until you've found the right spot.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Automatic chlorinator

You also want to be aware how much chlorine each tablet will add to your pool. That way you will know that, for example, you expect to fully use up 7 tablets in a week if your pool uses 2 ppm a day and each tablet adds 2 ppm. See the Pool Calculator, Effects of Adding Chemicals, at the bottom. Weigh a tablet to see how much trichlor each has.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.