Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pool collar and ordering concrete

1. Back To Top    #1

pool collar and ordering concrete

Hi... I have a question about concrete. Most specifically, ordering the cement for the collar. 1. How many yards of concrete would I need to pour the collar for a 16 x 36. Also... I've never ordered concrete before and not sure of the process for having a concrete truck pull up to my house.

I'm not going to have a ton of people that can help me haul the concrete. So I plan to rent a concrete buggy and use that. My question is... once that cement truck pulls up... how much time do I have to haul the concrete to my pool?? Is there a set time... I mean.. I would of course try to pour the cement as quickly as possible, but what if it take me a couple hours..? Am I paying for the cement and the driver's time? Would I just pay more?? I just don't know how this works. I know this a pretty stupid question and I thank everyone in advance.
    15,700 gallon outdoor AG 18'x33' vinyl pool; Family Leisure Perma-Salt System with 1.5hp EcoKleer sand filter, 70GPM; pump runs 24x7.

2. Back To Top    #2

San Jose, CA

Re: pool collar and ordering concrete

If I were you, I would have someone that has a good deal of experience handle the job before I would do what you are explaining... IMHO. Normally cement is pumped to get it to where you want it. Last thing you want is 9 yds of concrete harden up in the wrong place.
    24k gal 16x38, spa 7x6, Colorscape Caribbean Blue plaster, Pentair Intelliflow, Hayward jacuzzi air pump, Pentair 520 filter, Raypak 336k cu-ni heater, Aquabot Turbo T... pool remodel finished 8/2012.

3. Back To Top    #3

pool collar and ordering concrete

Depends on how deep you are pouring. I am Planning our pool build and am coming up with 3.7 yards from online calculators for a 6" collar on a 16x36 pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    18x36 Grecian Vinyl; 8' Roman steps w/t 2 spa jets; cozy cove w/t 6 spa jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 3 returns; Hayward Ecostar, 30" Ranger sand filter; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; Hayward aqua logic; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves

4. Back To Top    #4
    SouthWest Alabama

I get 4 cu yds so we're probably pretty close.

The issue you're gonna have is most places want a set delivery fee for less than 5 yards. You're gonna wind up paying more for 4 yards than you would for 5 or 6 yards.

If it's a couple hours you shouldn't pay extra for the drivers time. But I'd check with the vendor to make sure that's the case.

It's just me but for 4 yards I'd rent a mixer and mix it myself. You'll come out a lot cheaper and there's no time constraints.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

You should get so many min per yard. Any extra time they will charge for but the savings will be worth the work. I would make shur you have 3 of you there to pour the cement and I would use an 8 in bond beam. When the truck comes have the cement just wet enough to be easy to level flat shovel . Good luck!