Messed up pool chemistry...Help!

Jan 30, 2011
Danbury, Texas
Over the summer of last year I used the BBB method but have been using the chlorine pucks over the winter because of work/school. We recently had a problem with yellow/green algae in our pool. The pool store told us to use the "No More Problems" and told us how much to add. Well my husband added some and the next day I added some not knowing he did too, by mistake. Lets just say, we messed up and added too much :hammer: . This was 2.5 weeks ago and we are still having to shock our pool every 2-3 days to keep the chlorine level up. The water looks good, the algae is gone, but the water feels horrible, and makes our skin really dry. Here are our results.

Taylor
Cl/Br 3/6
Ph 7.2
TF-100
FC 1.5
CC 0.5
TC 2
TA 70
CYA 100
CH 0 tested twice

Since we put the pool in last year, we have had a high CYA and with a really dry summer last year, added water often. We are on city water, but the town is really small and have lots of iron issues. Needless to say, when I add water I have to add metal out. I hope you all can help me get it back to normal.
Thanks,
Marcella

If you can not keep the FC level up, then obviously there is something living in the pool and you have to do the Shocking Your Pool process. Adding some "magic powder" every couple days is not going to work ... back to Pool School!!!

Now, because of your use of tablets and likely dichlor every 2-3 days, your CYA is 100+ ... that is a BIG problem. And you should know the only solutions are drain and replace at least 50% of your water or pay someone $300+ to come out and do a Reverse Osmosis treatment on your pool.

First, redo the CYA test with a 50/50 mix of pool and tap water to start, then double the result to find out how dire your situation really is ... report back and we can figure something out.

You won't make much progress while CYA is that high. Actually, CYA could be higher still, since the common CYA test will report any level above 100 as 100. You need to replace water (or get a reverse osmosis treatment) to bring down the CYA level.

I'm sorry I didnt get to read about the 50/50 prior to draining some of the pool. I drained about 30%, as we have underground springs and dont want to drain too much. I am now refilling right now, but will not get to test till tomorrow evening because I work tomorrow. I am going to re-read the shocking method right now.
Thank you,
Marcella

Ok, shocked pool day before yesterday with bleach, had to add acid because PH went up. I did overnight FC loss test last night and held chlorine level.
Today's test results.
PH 7.2
FC 11.5
CC 0.5
TC 12
TA 100
50/50 CYA 85
CH 0, and tested this more than 2x

Also at same time husband took pool water to pool store and results.
PH 7.4
FC 5
CC .05
TA 110
CYA 100
CH 250

I had bought some Calcium Chloride to add today, but now I am wondering if there is something wrong with my test chemicals. I also tested my tap water for calcium, and it was zero. So I added some Calcium Chloride to the test tube and it was still zero. Could my chemicals from my TF-100 be old? I bought them April of 2011. I dont want to mess the water up more with too much Calcium. Please advise.
Thank you,
Marcella

From what you said, it seems likely that your calcium indicator dye might have gone bad. Can you describe what happens when you add the indicator dye to the sample while doing the CH test? What color does the sample turn and does it take a moment to get there, or is it that color right off?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Does your CYA test mean you measured 42.5???? and doubled it? Or you measured 85 so it is 170 ppm?

Are you aware that when the FC > 10ppm the pH reads falsely high?

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

No, I didnt know that the PH would be false if the FC is >10ppm. So that means that I shouldnt have added some acid? The PH was over 8.2 before this test and I added some acid to bring it back to normal. Now does this mean that it will be really high when the FC goes down? What should I do?
CYA was measured 50/50 by doubling the number I got while using half tap water and half pool water and I got a little over 40 so I rounded up. Probably wasnt exactly 42.5 :) . I checked the other way and it was around the 80-90 area also.
Thank you,
Marcella

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.