Hayward H250 "IF" Error

joshs2000ss

Nov 10, 2010
South Central Kentucky
I've read around and tried to figure out what is going on with my pool heater and this error. Most of the things I've seen say that when this error occurs the heater will either not light or will only stay lit a few seconds. Neither is the issue in my case.

When the error shows, I can toggle through the modes and back to pool and the heater will light. It will stay on for 10-15 minutes on average. Maybe a little shorter occasionally and then maybe a little longer the next time. I was outside working, where it is a bit windy today, but nothing crazy and I've noticed, when working downwind, every few minutes I smell the natural gas from the heater, I'll go check it and it's still lit and working. It did this a few times, when I was outside for the duration between shutoffs and then the code came back. Today is the first time I've had any issues whatsoever with my heater.

The only circumstances different than normal operation are the wind, maybe 15mph wind gusts and the fact that it's been running for a long period of time due to the weather being cooler and my daughter's birthday pool party being tonight. I'm warming it higher than usual so they won't be cold when swimming. It's been on for around 11 hours today. Could that have something to do with it?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

*after reading a bit more on the web, is it possible that maybe one or two of the gas jets are clogged causing this issue? It fires, but since all of the jets aren't firing the wind is able to blow it out? Just guessing here and don't want to start taking things apart with the party starting in just an hour.*

*update*

Last night, after the wind died down, the heater ran for several hours without shutting off. I'm going to pull the panel off and do some looking around this afternoon to see if I can see what's going on that might be causing the issue. I'm guessing I'll find an orifice or two clogged.

From the manual

IF = Ignition failure error:
If the control exceeds the maximum number of ignition retries or recycles the
heater will shut down and go into lockout. Automatic reset is 60 minutes.

sounds like it was the wind issue. Not sure if this unit has a flame sensor or not. If it does and the wind blows the flame away from it the burner will shut down

joshs2000ss said:
*update*

Last night, after the wind died down, the heater ran for several hours without shutting off. I'm going to pull the panel off and do some looking around this afternoon to see if I can see what's going on that might be causing the issue. I'm guessing I'll find an orifice or two clogged.

You found your problem, wind. Install a wind stack and see what happens the next time you have high winds.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.