Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Self-aligning union

1. Back To Top    #1

Self-aligning union

There is a type of union that is "self-aligning".
    Instead of the union mating surfaces being flat and parallel, there is a ball and socket type joint with an o-ring that allows for some axial misalignment.

My previous owner had the pump (Superpump) and filter replaced and there is one of these self-aligning unions at the pump suction to account for the sloppy install in making up to the original skimmer and main drain 3-way. I think in my case they were asking it to do too much as I have always had problems with air leaks. I just dismantled, cleaned, lubed and reassembled to try to stop the air leak and now it's worse. I will be doing some replumbing myself.

I haven't found much detail online. Hayward has an assembly for a different type of installation that comes with an elbow. I do know that the "hand nut"(?) part is much wider than a regular union.
    20,000 gal IG vinyl, built by Champion 1980. Hayward Superpump w/ 1 HP motor, Hayward S200 sand filter. TFP and inline chlorinator (for vacations).

2. Back To Top    #2
    Twin Cities, MN

Re: Self-aligning union

I got a lot hits when I googled hayward self aligning union. Most hits were not right angle ones and they did have the wide nut.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.