Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just getting frustrated

1. Back To Top    #1

Just getting frustrated

Let me be frank, I haven't read through your forums in their entirely except the what we need to know so I apologize if I haven't read about the solution for my particular problem. I intend to read as much of your forums as possible these next few weeks so I can learn to care for my pool properly.

Quick backstory: My wife and I bought a house with a pool that hadn't been opened in 2 years, the cover dry-rotted and all the leaves fell in the pool over those two years. Never owned a pool before.

Problem history: Filter cartridge originally - the previous owner had the wrong size filter cartridge in it (too small). I bought the right size cartridge and then the pump went up. I was talked in to buying a 2 HP 2 speed pump but realized (too late) that it was too much pump for the filter to handle (too much head lifting the cartridge up and water bypassing. Drained pool, dredged leaves, fixed pump, fixed filter (bought a new DE filter yesterday).

Here's my current specs and pictures to follow:
    FC: .5
    CC: My current kit doesn't test for this... neither does Namco (where my water was tested).
    pH: 7.2
    TA: 80
    CH: 200
    CYA: 50

Current water color: Cloudy blue. Tried a floc (with the old filter) to no effect.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Pool Size: 24' Round (~13,600 gallons)
    Filter Type: DE
    Pool Type: AG
    Pump Size: 2 HP Dual-speed
    Filter Flow-rate: 63GPM

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Just getting frustrated

Welcome to TFP!

It looks like you have two different problems, low FC level associated with hazy water and paint flaking off.

The first thing to do is to raise the FC level to shock level. That might be enough to clear up the water right there, or you may need to [shock:g718pp09]shock the pool.[/shock:g718pp09]

The paint problem is unrelated, and not so simple to deal with.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome

Keep reading Pool School ... maybe a few times as there is a lot of great info there. Soon you will know more that many pool store employees.

I agree you should probably go through the shock process since your FC is too low for your CYA level, see:
    Recommended Levels
    Chlorine CYA Chart

However, to best control your pool, the first step should be to invest in one of the recommended test kits (see my signature for link) and while waiting for the kit, keep reading
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Okay, reading the shock information and going to get shock now.

Paint flaking? How do I fix this or what do I do about it?

Going to order the TF-50 test kit (thanks for that bit of info - don't need the pH test since I can do that at work on our handheld digital pH probes).

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm wondering if Jasonlion was seeing the reflection of the clouds in your photos and mistook it for paint flaking? You have an above ground pool, right?
    AG 18' X 52" Round Pacifica Pool w/ Metal Diamond Unibead Liner. Installed in March 2007.
    2.5 HP Baquapure 2 Speed Pump, 200 GPM Waterway ProClean Cartridge Filter System.

Former Baquacil user
    Converted to BBB in Fall of 2009 - Now I have a truly trouble free pool!

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, it's an above-ground pool. Going out to buy shock now... I LOVE that these forums support Tapatalk!

In the pictures please reference the area under my shadow, I tried to take the pictures of the water as much as possible but a camera can only do so much without being underwater.

7. Back To Top    #7

What do you call "shock"?? If it's sold in a bag stay away!

Only get liquid chlorine or liquid bleach!! You've got an issue with algae in your pool.....needs to be killed!

8. Back To Top    #8

Wait... buy lots of bleach, not a store bought shock product! Considering your CYA is already 50 ppm you don't need to use anything that will make it go higher. That will cause you to use waaay more bleach to bring your water up to shock level. Consider chlorine pucks and any bagged "shock" product off limits right now.
    AG 18' X 52" Round Pacifica Pool w/ Metal Diamond Unibead Liner. Installed in March 2007.
    2.5 HP Baquapure 2 Speed Pump, 200 GPM Waterway ProClean Cartridge Filter System.

Former Baquacil user

9. Back To Top    #9

The liquid shock (bleach) of course. That's all I've ever used.

10. Back To Top    #10

11. Back To Top    #11

Former Baquacil user

12. Back To Top    #12

Leebo, our last two posts are so similar it's almost scary! LOL

Former Baquacil user

13. Back To Top    #13

Great minds think alike.

14. Back To Top    #14

I'm wrong, no paint, so it can't be paint flaking. But it sure looks like that is what it is (in the first two pictures, but not the third which does look like clouds).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    I'm wrong, no paint, so it can't be paint flaking. But it sure looks like that is what it is (in the first two pictures, but not the third which does look like clouds).
    I can't see it ... I always see a guy holding his phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

16. Back To Top    #16

That's probably the best looking 2 year neglected pool I've seen here! With those kind of starting numbers progress should be quick if you hit it hard with lots of bleach and make sure you stay on top of your filter pressure.
    Quote Originally Posted by RBK2001
    Quick backstory: My wife and I bought a house with a pool that hadn't been opened in 2 years, the cover dry-rotted and all the leaves fell in the pool over those two years. Never owned a pool before.

Here's my current specs and pictures to follow:
    FC: .5
    CC: My current kit doesn't test for this... neither does Namco (where my water was tested).
    pH: 7.2
    TA: 80
    CH: 200
    CYA: 50

Current water color: Cloudy blue. Tried a floc (with the old filter) to no effect.
    16k gal, 28'x3.5', Vinyl A/G, 1hp Pentair Dynamo 2-speed Pump, Hayward S160T Sand Filter, Intermatic HB800RCL Digital Timer, Intex 8110 SWG, TF-100 Test Kit, SpeedStir Author: Jesse's Graphical Pool Testing Log

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    All I see is his reflection and clouds/trees. I think you've been spending too much time in the pool house breathing in "fumes." LOL
    16k gal, 28'x3.5', Vinyl A/G, 1hp Pentair Dynamo 2-speed Pump, Hayward S160T Sand Filter, Intermatic HB800RCL Digital Timer, Intex 8110 SWG, TF-100 Test Kit, SpeedStir Author: Jesse's Graphical Pool Testing Log

18. Back To Top    #18

Well Jesse, last year I tried fighting with dredging the leaves out in a full pool to no avail so this year I drained it down to about 1 foot of water and dredged out leaves first (9 55 gallon contractor bags worth! The old fashioned way too - syphon using the pool vacuum hose so I could vacuum while syphoning).

I just hope that it's only algae growth and sorry about the photos but those are legitimate clouds!

19. Back To Top    #19

My pool was neglected over one winter and it looked 10 times worse. Mine was green with duck sh*t and black leaves. As to the photos, I thought I was seeing cracked plaster until I read the second message about reflection and clouds.

Follow the suggestion you get here, ignore the pool store, and read your pool school. I am a new convert and my past pains are motivating me to follow the BBB guidelines.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

20. Back To Top    #20

No noticeable change in clarity this morning (using the OTO test came up deep orange). I will post pictures after I get off work. I read most of pool school and will read some more this afternoon. There's information in there the pool store never dreamed of telling me.

Question: Should I keep the pump running the whole time?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast