Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pH wil not go down

1. Back To Top    #1

pH wil not go down

My pH is at about 8.3 and I can't get it to lower. I have put in a whole bottle of pH down and have started using the muratic acid. It won't budge. I am stumped. Any ideas?
    AGP: 24' x 52" cartridge filter: 13,500 gallons. Taylor K-2006 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pH wil not go down

It's likely higher than you suspect and will therefore take more acid than you think. Keep adding acid till you see and change.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I will keep adding it I just wanted to make sure I was doing the right thing. I did a complete refill this year and have never had so many issues with my pH level.

4. Back To Top    #4

What is your TA?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

Pool store ( I know I need a good test kit) says 240 but when I do it with the wal mart test kit it doesn't turn red until I put in about 30 drops.

6. Back To Top    #6

With very high TA level it can take a dramatic amount of acid to lower the PH. If you have borates in the water it can take even more acid to shift the PH.

One special case to watch out for, if the FC level is very high (roughly 18+), the PH test will not work correctly and will report false results.

The other fairly unlikely possibility is that your PH reagent has gone bad. It might be good to do a double check on say your tap water and make sure the PH test is working.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

FC is 3. I will test my reagent with my tap water and see what happens.

8. Back To Top    #8

I inherited a pool service when I moved in this house. After a couple months, I bought a 3 in 1 test kit. pH was maxed. I wasn't sure if it was plaster or painted, the pool store sold me dry acid. I put the whole 10 pounds in (not all at once) and pH didn't budge. By then I determined it was unpainted, so I bought Muriatic Acid. It took a whole gallon to finally nudge the pH into the center of the test block.

So your experience is not unique at all.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!