Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What has the wife done......

1. Back To Top    #1

What has the wife done......

My wife just bought a 21x43x54 agp with a hopper. I am the lucky one who gets to install this thing. We have never had a pool before. I am looking for someone who may have done a hopper install before that can point me in the right direction, and maybe have some pics, and advice! I hope!

Thanks
    43x21x54" Sharkline/Wilbar Above Ground with hopper, 26,000 Gal
    Sta-rite 22 in sand filter with Zeosand removed reg pool sand installed, Sta-rite 1.5 hp pump, Poolsmart Climber Robot, TF-100 Test kit, poolskim, hard plumbing with second return added for poolskim, fafco solar heater, Luiquidator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What has the wife done......

Looks like she bought you a MONSTER! I have never put up an oval pool, let alone a hopper in an above ground pool. I do believe a few years ago there was a guy here who was going to take on this monumental task but I don't know if he ever completed it and I wouldn't even know where to begin to search for the thread with key words n such. I know he had some issues regarding the straps which are needed to keep the pool from blowing out and where the hopper was to begin.

Sit tight and maybe someone will be along to help you get through this. Don't faint yet. Welcome to TFP!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

You have a very large task ahead of you man, that's a big oval pool.
    Just wanna say: measure and level!!!!

Good luck!
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

4. Back To Top    #4

and level . . . and level . . .

19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I don't think it will be to bad on the leveling part since only half of the pool is actually level and I have a nice laser level and tripod, its only time! My concern is the hopper and how to go about it. I guess maybe I will start looking at in ground pools to get some ideas. They seem to be a lot more common to have a deep end.
    43x21x54" Sharkline/Wilbar Above Ground with hopper, 26,000 Gal
    Sta-rite 22 in sand filter with Zeosand removed reg pool sand installed, Sta-rite 1.5 hp pump, Poolsmart Climber Robot, TF-100 Test kit, poolskim, hard plumbing with second return added for poolskim, fafco solar heater, Luiquidator

6. Back To Top    #6

And lots of liquid on those hot days! Just get most of your leveling out of the way first!

Oh and we need lots of pics cuz you're gonna be our hero! I know why your wife bought such a big pool... it's so we can come over and check out your awesomeness when it's done! I do believe we could all fit in that pool!

7. Back To Top    #7

I would root through the installation guide and see how many straps you have and where the last one will be (how far from the wall) because the hopper should start after the last strap on either side of the pool.

8. Back To Top    #8

What is a hopper? That is a huge pool. You are my idle man... I want a gargantuan oblong pool. I drool... Pics! Even if its just the boxes!
    18x34 Doughboy AGP 22300K Gallons - Build Thread
    Aquaview 24" Sand Filter - 1.5 HP Powerline Pump - Barracuda Ranger - Taylor K-2006 - BBB
    Pool School and Pool Calculator

9. Back To Top    #9

I think a hopper is what I would call the deep end part of the pool.
    Rob B
    My $100 pool finally died after 6 years.
    Totally got our monies worth!
    Butterfly made me do it...

10. Back To Top    #10

Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

11. Back To Top    #11

Wow... I've never heard of an above ground pool with a deep end! We are going to need LOTS and LOTS of pictures
    Offer accepted on short-sale... let's see how long this process takes, I want to swim!!!

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by solincia
    Wow... I've never heard of an above ground pool with a deep end! We are going to need LOTS and LOTS of pictures
    I hadn't until after purchasing my pool!

I want!!

(I think a couple people on here have round pools with one half being the hopper "side.")

Edit - I know I've seen others, but this one is awesome!
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]