boatmen and backswimmers

Tldga3

May 29, 2012
I hate bugs! I am surprised they can survive high chlorine levels. I turned my SWG to superchlorinate for 24 hours and FC went to above 8.0.

PH 7.8
FC 8.0+
TA 120
CYA 40

I had my water tested today and all was well but high in phosphates, so maybe those little buggers are eating algae (I do have a cloudy water issue). The store that tested my water is recommending PhosFree so I will buy that and may even spring for the version that has PoolPerfect.

Is the algae and cloudy water the source of food for the bugs and they will be gone after I treat that or will I have to rid of the bugs separately??

Bob

Usually once the water is properly balanced they go away. For me it seems to be they are a sure sign that when they show up my water is about to take a dive. Last time I had a few was last week after a big pool party for memorial day. Afterwards the water lost its luster and went cloudy/murky and guess what was swimming... Those Dang bugs!!! Did an oclt and was losing so I had to shock for 2 days to quit loosing over night. Water is cleared up now and no bugs. I'm betting you need to raise your cl level to shock level and they will go away once the water is balanced again.

Do your self a favor and spend the money you'll waste on phosfree on a good test kit instead. Phosphates aren't the issue.

Once you get everything balanced and clear the bugs will most likely go away.

Spend some time reading Pool School especially the swg recommended levels. Your CYA isn't high enough if you can believe the pool store test. You'd be much better off doing your own tests.

I understand my CYA is not yet ideal. I have gotten to where I am in two doses and wait several days before testing and changing it, it may still be climbing.
I feel that phosphates are the issue. How else could I have otherwise balanced water and have it be cloudy?

For the record, my numbers and the pool store numbers match, so testing errors are not likely in my mind.

Thanks,
Bob

CH-350, Phosphates were 500+

OCLT dropped like a rock. So I set CWG back to superchlorinate and I used PhosFree yesterday afternoon. This morning the water was already clear. I just picked up one corner of the solar cover and peeked in. I have been and plan to for a while, run my pump 24/7. The only item that tested different for the pool store vs my test was the CYA. I reported 40 and they reported ~0. I will add another pound tomorrow probably. I have to go by something and in two doses I saw the CYA level come up so I will have to trust that is correct.

So when I first started this post I was asking about bugs. I had scooped one out the day before yesterday and that is all I have since since I opened the pool up. Unless I continue to see them I am not worried too much about them. I also bought the PhosFree + PoolPerfect and will use it as maint as prescribed on the label. I think I am on an even keel now...

Bob

Using PhosFree+PoolPerfect is a waste of money in this situation. Phosphates don't really matter as long as you maintain an appropriate FC level, and PoolPerfect is only useful when you have oils, say tanning oil, accumulating on the surface of the water.

Maybe I'm to late to the topic here, but we have a problem with water boatmen and giant waterbugs.

My levels are good and we still get them. Seems the longer the cover is off the bigger the bug party. Now we only remove the cover just before we swim. We peel back a corner to let the pool breathe, but doesn't seem to attract the bugs.

We live near lots of swamps and ponds. We get boatmen on our driveway when we wash the car so I can't really say that it is algae they are attracted to, but maybe just water.

Yes a lot of them do tell me my water is going to turn, but we probably have 4-5 whenever we swim. We just have to accept them as part of our pool. My sister has never had them and she lives 40 miles away in the city. She lets her chlorine drop to zero quite often.

When we have giant water bugs....then we have an emergency drill to get out of the pool ASAP!

Hello, still fairly new to this site but it's been very helpful.. I finally got my pool installed and have had a couple of the backswimmers show up. I've been reading many forums and even a professional pool cleaner recommended Dawn but my question is would doing this harm my sand filter or pump at all? Does it un-balance the chemicals you currently have in your pool or possibly cause other problems? I've read Dawn and a few people said to use the algecide, for some algecide worked but everyone that's tried the Dawn dishwashing soap said it's worked but I don't want to damage my brand new pool's sand filter.. I just want the bugs gone! Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have them in the Spring but they vanish as soon as I have adequate chlorine in the pool.

The bugs are there not just because they love lounging and frolicing in pools, but surely because they are finding something to eat.

Get rid of that food source by killing it with adequate chlorine and they will leave.

It s a newly filled pool, I have no algae and I just started putting chemicals in after it was filled up. I have had other bugs commit suicide in the pool such as some bees/wasps and a couple of praying mantis' so I am not sure what they could want to feed on unless they're eating the other dead bugs? I have read so much conflicting reports from people, some who had tons of chlorine in the pool and still had the bug issue and being a new pool owner I am not sure which to try first.. I just thought Dawn seems to work for everyone while all the other methods only worked for some here and there, but don't want to destroy my new filter trying it.. Thanks!
Danielle

I don't know, that was my original question.. My thinking is no as long as you don't overdo it, but it's all relative to how many gallons of water are in your pool I would think.. He said 1/4 cup for a 20,000 gal pool which is what mine is also so i will chlorinate and do what I need to do with chemicals and if that does not work I may try the Dawn approach in small quantities....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.