Metal stains or algae stains???? please help

Jun 4, 2012
After owning a plaster pool for seven years and spending thousands of dollars at the local pool store. I decided I was tired of getting kicked around. I removed my mesh cover this spring to the usual yearly encounter with a green swamp. I took the water sample to my local pool store and after balancing my Ph i preceded to bombard my pool with shock over the next three weeks as instructed by the pool store. After 3 weeks I used a total of 55 gallons of liquid chlorine and 86 bags of 53% cal-hypo. after a couple of good vacuums I now have clear water but my walls floors are stained. The stain is a brownish yellow in color and does not brush off. The pool guy came to the house and told me it was copper stains after pouring muric acid onto my first step-making it clear of any stains. He suggested draining the pool and acid washing the plaster.

I purchased the Taylor 2006 testing kit and my initial levels were as follows:

FC- .4ppm
CC- .2ppm
Ph- 7.4ppm
TA- 180
CYA-35

I did a vitamin c test and got no results. I concluded that it must be organic in nature. We preceded to shock the pool and maintained a FC level between 15-25ppm for three days. While continuing to brush. Although the stains seem to be fading slightly, still no major change.

How long and how high do we keep the shock level up?
Any advise is appreciated.

Steve and Ida[attachment=0:8nu44qjt]pool.JPG[/attachment:8nu44qjt]

Attachments

• pool.JPG
    pool.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 226
It seems to me the stain identification is somewhat inconclusive. Take a tri-chlor puck and hold it on the stain for a minute or so. If the stain obviously lightens or disappears, then it is organic. Report back what you find.

Yeah, if the pucks didn't touch it, then I think it's calcium scale as well. Richard 320 is an expert having fought and gradually winning his pool back from it....follow his advice.

Changing the subject, you have NO CHLORINE in that pool and you need to change that immediately. Get chlorine in your pool (around 3-5ppm) and DO NOT LET IT GO BELOW THAT LEVEL.

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School....then read "How to Shock Your Pool". That should give you some insight that you didn't shock properly nor are you maintaining your chlorine properly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.