Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Metal stains or algae stains???? please help

1. Back To Top    #1

Metal stains or algae stains???? please help

After owning a plaster pool for seven years and spending thousands of dollars at the local pool store. I decided I was tired of getting kicked around. I removed my mesh cover this spring to the usual yearly encounter with a green swamp. I took the water sample to my local pool store and after balancing my Ph i preceded to bombard my pool with shock over the next three weeks as instructed by the pool store. After 3 weeks I used a total of 55 gallons of liquid chlorine and 86 bags of 53% cal-hypo. after a couple of good vacuums I now have clear water but my walls floors are stained. The stain is a brownish yellow in color and does not brush off. The pool guy came to the house and told me it was copper stains after pouring muric acid onto my first step-making it clear of any stains. He suggested draining the pool and acid washing the plaster.

I purchased the Taylor 2006 testing kit and my initial levels were as follows:

FC- .4ppm
    CC- .2ppm
    Ph- 7.4ppm
    TA- 180
    CYA-35

I did a vitamin c test and got no results. I concluded that it must be organic in nature. We preceded to shock the pool and maintained a FC level between 15-25ppm for three days. While continuing to brush. Although the stains seem to be fading slightly, still no major change.

How long and how high do we keep the shock level up?
    Any advise is appreciated.

Steve and Ida[attachment=0:8nu44qjt]pool.JPG[/attachment:8nu44qjt]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Intex 5,000 gal. AGP -Intex Krystal Clear SWG
    -Intex 1,500 gph cartridge filter -Minneapolis, MN

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Metal stains or algae stains???? please help

It seems to me the stain identification is somewhat inconclusive. Take a tri-chlor puck and hold it on the stain for a minute or so. If the stain obviously lightens or disappears, then it is organic. Report back what you find.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Just tried the tri chlor puck and left it for 25 minutes-no change.

I also tried the Jack's Magic stain kit and had no results.

4. Back To Top    #4

Looks like Calcium Scale to me, with perhaps some stain embedded in it. Even without stains, it's not white.

What's the CH level? And do you have hard water - white crust buildup on the showerhead and the coffeemaker?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Calcium hardness just tested: 320

yes, hard water

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by steveandida
    Calcium hardness just tested: 320

yes, hard water
    Drive the TA down by maintaining pH at the low end (or getting aggressive with it ala Pool School) and I bet you'll see the CH number climb. Even without adding any tap water it will climb. Mine does. Intentionally.
    progress-on-scale-t38568.html
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Yeah, if the pucks didn't touch it, then I think it's calcium scale as well. Richard 320 is an expert having fought and gradually winning his pool back from it....follow his advice.

Changing the subject, you have NO CHLORINE in that pool and you need to change that immediately. Get chlorine in your pool (around 3-5ppm) and DO NOT LET IT GO BELOW THAT LEVEL.

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School....then read "How to Shock Your Pool". That should give you some insight that you didn't shock properly nor are you maintaining your chlorine properly.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School